Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Girlfriend has a 97 Sable with a 3.0 and the AX4S transaxle, the engine quit and the car has seem better days so its a parts car now, found a 97 Taurus with the 3.0 and AX4N transaxle. both engines are the same the AX4S was just rebuilt last year so its good, with a total car for donor parts what all has to get changed? will the electronics work or do some need changed? both transaxles are now out and sitting in my driveway.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If your plan is to keep your girlfriends car, the 3.0 L Vulcan engine should be a direct swap using her old transmission. If you plan to use the new car, you can swap the transmission from the ax4n to the ax4s if you wish but I don't know why you would want to because the ax4n is a stronger transmission. It will be necessary to use the engine harness and the PCM from your girlfriends car. The car with the ax4n has a manual switch to over-ride the overdrive so this function will be gone if you swap transmissions. If you choose to put the ax4n into your girlfriends car you will have to find a way to install this switch.

The best advice I can give is to use the transmission that came with the car you plan to use and just change the engine in you grirlfriends car if that's your plan. Just change the engine harness and any sensors that may be different, that way the PCM stays with the car it's programmed for.

Good luck, Popeye

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info! Appears from what I have read the swap usually goes the other way except the ax4s is good and the ax4n isnt and the car that came with the ax4n is great shape and the ax4s has seen way to many rusty miles in the midwest. So since it is the donor car by defalt the other better car gets the oddball swap. If this works then we all will know it will work the other way also. I'll post what I find I had to swap to get it to work. Plans are to change the PCM and see what else needs changed after that mean while I have a pile of 97 Sable parts here in Iowa that need a home

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The AX4N is the superior transmission, and that's why Ford installed it in all the cars with heavy duty and towing packages, and the SHO.

The AX4S is a crap transmission, which has a usable life of about 100K miles, while the AX4N is much longer. They often fail because the maximum torque rating is too close to the rated engine output.

The reason that you see all the swaps going the other way is because there were fewer AX4N transmissioned cars made because the AX4N costs more to make, and the factory building the AX4N could only make a limited number of them. While there was more production capacity for the less expensive AX4S. Since there were more AX4S transmissions made and all of them fail, there have been many more people removing them than installing them (swaps).

Parts that are different (that need to be changed) when swapping from or to an AX4N are: exhaust Y-pipe, subframe, cv axles, transmission, engine wiring harness (contains wiring for the transmission), and the PCM (computer).

AX4N transmissioned cars also got transmission coolers, and power steering filters (that most AX4S cars did not get).

The cars should both be from the same model year, and should have the same engine and accessories.

If swapping to the AX4N from the AX4S, you do not need to disturb the interior to replace the wiring harness, the overdrive switch is not necessary. Not all cars came with the Overdrive switch, and the switch is used to disable the Overdrive, not enable it. Overdrive is automatically enabled each time the ignition is turned on.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I agree completely with Gohim and I would like to add that you should save all the parts to swap the AX4N back into your car. The AX4N/Vulcan combination is not very common but it is the best configuration for reliability and easier servicing. I actually have a low miles AX4N that fits the Vulcan engine (here in Canada) but I couldn't find the correct harness or PCM.

Good luck, Popeye

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
QUOTE (popeye @ May 29 2010, 09:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807633
I agree completely with Gohim and I would like to add that you should save all the parts to swap the AX4N back into your car. The AX4N/Vulcan combination is not very common but it is the best configuration for reliability and easier servicing. I actually have a low miles AX4N that fits the Vulcan engine (here in Canada) but I couldn't find the correct harness or PCM.

Good luck, Popeye[/b]
I have been in 96/97 swap hell before. If you do not do your homework, you will be pulling your hair out
trying to fix small issues. There was a wiring change from 96 to 97. things like the OBD2 ports, ac grounds and
such are different. Nothing major, but it WILL cause you issues if your not careful. Some function that were on
one year may not be on the other. The shift order is different from ax4s to ax4n so the PCM MUST match the
transmission. The wiring harness has the same connectors, but i am not sure its identical with a 4s/4N swap.

The trannies (of the same type) should be a direct swap. The vulcans are basically the same, but use the wire harness from the same year
the car is. This is the error i made and it cost me dearly. the C130 connector where the motor hooks up to the chassis harness
are where some of the differences are. You can look up old posts of mine to rehash the issues i had.

In my case, i put a 96 Vulcan in a 97 and used the 96 harness. I had no code scan, and no AC. These were issues
with wiring changes and grounding changes in the engine harness. There was also some issue with the canister
vent as i recall too.

If your doing ax4s to as4n swaps, there are a lot more things that have to be changed. Possible, yes. hassle factor can get large
quickly.

good luck

bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
swap not going all that bad among things not mentioned is you need the right side rear engine mount as the trannys are different lengths and they dont interchange, the metal bracket is the difference, the y pipe is different in where the support brackets are but the pile itself appears to be the same. donor car's pipe is rusted so a little handy work with the mig welder and this should fit using the correct brackets. Left side transaxle bracket is different but the rubber mount is the same. AX4S did have the coolers and the pwr steer filter. Plan on keeping the extra parts if I ever need to swap another car the other way. Suggest if anyone else trys these swaps between the AX4N and the AXOD-E /AX4S is to have the donor car within easy reach for the parts you need, mine are sitting side by side. Here in Iowa you can buy a wrecked car that was running cheaper than the tranny out of a salvage yard and have a huge pile of other parts such as starters etc. More later when the beast is running

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
QUOTE (IT56iowa @ May 29 2010, 11:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807794
swap not going all that bad among things not mentioned is you need the right side rear engine mount as the trannys are different lengths and they dont interchange, the metal bracket is the difference, the y pipe is different in where the support brackets are but the pile itself appears to be the same. donor car's pipe is rusted so a little handy work with the mig welder and this should fit using the correct brackets. Left side transaxle bracket is different but the rubber mount is the same. AX4S did have the coolers and the pwr steer filter. Plan on keeping the extra parts if I ever need to swap another car the other way. Suggest if anyone else trys these swaps between the AX4N and the AXOD-E /AX4S is to have the donor car within easy reach for the parts you need, mine are sitting side by side. Here in Iowa you can buy a wrecked car that was running cheaper than the tranny out of a salvage yard and have a huge pile of other parts such as starters etc. More later when the beast is running[/b]
It sounds like you figuring out the mechanical end. So, what are you going to do on the electrical end?
The computer swap is where it gets interesting. You need to match trannies and features unless you
know where you can get a PCM flashed. So, you need a PCM with ax4s, pats or no pats, antilock/none, and keep the feature set
the same. I hope if the 97 your using had antilock, that the 1/2 shafts you have for the AX4S have the anti lock rings on them.

One thing that was a big help to me was getting a multi year factory DVD manual. I printed out wiring diagrams
and studied the hell out of them . This eventually led to me solving my swap issues.

bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The swap was successful! Ok so if I can go AXOD-E / AX4S style from a AX4N then the same should be true the other way.
Here is what needed to be changed and its good to have the donor car handy onsite.
Transaxle, Transaxle metal frame mount (the rubber mount to the subframe is the same) right rear engine / transaxle mount, PCM, both axles, the exhaust y pipe is close to the same with the difference being the support mounts to the transaxle, use the correct one or in my case the correct one was bad so used the other one and cut off the transaxle mounts and welded on the correct ones, this to get right was easier to do once the y pipe is mounted to the engine. Subframe was changed too bt not sure if was needed I just put the better of the 2 in
There were some concerns with the engine wire harness but I found that it didnt need to be changed. I checked part numbers on some of the sensors and they matched so didnt see a problem with any of them.
will post another posting about the broken nut on the body to subframe mount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts