Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my transmission rebuilt but for my surprise after that ...

Trans is 1997 LX V6 AX4N, and I have to have selector in (2) to move from a dead stop, but once car is moving at 10mph I can shift to (D) and trans will shift thru all gears and then I have to repeat all over again when I come to next stop.
No reverse at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Someone else had a similar problem. They found 1 of the shift solenoids' wiring internally grounded. You may be able to verify by disconnecting the trans connector and see if Reverse works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem solved.

Valve body had a stuck valve and o'ring in oil pump shaft wore out even though the old ones were replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I'm thinking of rebuilding my AX4N. Does anybody know what special tools I may need? What are some of the better rebuild kits?

Any tips and tricks to this process? Thanks.

Monsoon.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Monsoon, there are some good threads in the topic finder under the tranny section. Also, search: powertoolman. Egiroux can probably help you out, too.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Monsoon, there are some good threads in the topic finder under the tranny section. Also, search: powertoolman. Egiroux can probably help you out, too.
OK, I did read powertoolman, torzer and arizonian write-ups. Most of these topics have to do with the AX4N valve body being sticky or pump issues - not my experience as of today. My concern is this...would it be a concern how much metal is stuck to the magnet in the pan? After about 60K miles (I'm approaching 200K miles) I changed the fluid. The metal-to-magnet ratio is small or minimal. Used fluid looks good and no miss-shifts from the transmission.

Other than the sticky valve body what are the other weak links for an AX4N transmission? What causes the pump to fail?

torzer posted a PDF file (SC-AX4N-IN) that is a "refresh kit". What exactly does this do if you have no issues with the transmission to begin with?

After recently changing the fluid (full synthetic) I'm forecasting another 60K miles with no surprises. Or am I missing something?

This 1997 Sable LS is one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Monsoon

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Ive got a 98 tec ax4n sitting in the drive for a parts car. Started it today to freshen the batt. I bought it with 122k mi. It now has 389k mi. and purrs like a kitten. Too many suspension issues, window probs. and numerous car-deer encounters. Eng. and tranny are perfect with the exception of needing an oil pan gasket. Since ive had it (youngest son) it received 3k oil changes (dino) and 30k tranny services (no cooler) all with wallyworld supertech products. Most major repair done to the eng. was the h2o pump. Nothing done to the tranny but fluid and filter pan drops. Has way too many good parts to crush yet. Just in the past couple of months ive robbed a headlight, hood struts, mach amp, tweeter covers, assorted sensors, etc. That car was a black bull, lol! Luck of the draw i guess.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm thinking of rebuilding my AX4N. Does anybody know what special tools I may need? What are some of the better rebuild kits?

Any tips and tricks to this process? Thanks.

Monsoon.
Why do you want to rebuild it? Mine had a large fluid leak at the TC seal when it got hot.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Why do you want to rebuild it? Mine had a large fluid leak at the TC seal when it got hot.
I'm big on preventive maintenance but I'm not going to be tearing into anything that's no broken either.

I want to know what the concerns are with this transmission given the age and mileage. Any weak items I should be aware of?

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
It now has 389k mi. and purrs like a kitten.
389K Miles? Are you kidding me? That Duratec must be one very robust engine? Do ya think this is a half a million mile engine? My Duratec at 172K miles passed state emission with flying colors in MAY-2010.

389K miles, that gives me a lot of confidence I'll be driving this car a long time. :)

Monsoon

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm big on preventive maintenance but I'm not going to be tearing into anything that's no broken either.

I want to know what the concerns are with this transmission given the age and mileage. Any weak items I should be aware of?

Monsoon
Mine is an AX4S, but they are similar. Besides the TC seal issues, I found the rubber seals a little soft and the main pressure regulator worn. I believe many of the failures are from low pressure due to leaking seals. I also think heat causes the rubber to degrade faster. I would say if it shifts OK and doesn't slip leave it alone. If it doesn't have a cooler, then add one. Change the fluid/filter every 30K. Here's the links to my project:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/156628-transmission-fluid-leak.html

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/156770-if-has-come-out.html

·
Registered
75 Posts
I read your thread.....Nice work egiroux.

I rebuilt my AX4S out of my 93 a few years ago using the Transgo kit.

I bought my 93 with the tranny blown.....After I removed the tranny and tore it down I dicovered one of the C-clips on the low/intermediate servo shaft was broken....so there was hardly any forward with the car. The low intermediate band was never able to get fully applied. Sonnax sells some beefed up C-clips for the low intermediate servo shaft so I used those during my rebuild....so the C-clips breaking are abviously a known possible AX4S failure. Also one of my forward clutch wave steels was cracked. The forward frictions had some heat damage but seemed OK. My forward clutch also had an aluminum piston...which is known sometimes to crack so I bought the replacement steel piston and used that for the rebuild. I bought my entire rebuild kit and transgo kit and Sonnax parts from Bulkpart.com.

My rebuild has about 10K miles on it and the shifts are definitely much crisper than stock.....but Ive enjoyed it. Ive down a wide open accel test... and that wide open 1 to 2 shift is something on a 165,000 mile 93 3.0L vulcan.

Hardest part of the whole process is definitely takeing the tranny out of the car and putting it back in......I did the tranny and engine together with an engine hoist.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I read your thread.....Nice work egiroux.

I rebuilt my AX4S out of my 93 a few years ago using the Transgo kit.

I bought my 93 with the tranny blown.....After I removed the tranny and tore it down I dicovered one of the C-clips on the low/intermediate servo shaft was broken....so there was hardly any forward with the car. The low intermediate band was never able to get fully applied. Sonnax sells some beefed up C-clips for the low intermediate servo shaft so I used those during my rebuild....so the C-clips breaking are abviously a known possible AX4S failure. Also one of my forward clutch wave steels was cracked. The forward frictions had some heat damage but seemed OK. My forward clutch also had an aluminum piston...which is known sometimes to crack so I bought the replacement steel piston and used that for the rebuild. I bought my entire rebuild kit and transgo kit and Sonnax parts from Bulkpart.com.

My rebuild has about 10K miles on it and the shifts are definitely much crisper than stock.....but Ive enjoyed it. Ive down a wide open accel test... and that wide open 1 to 2 shift is something on a 165,000 mile 93 3.0L vulcan.

Hardest part of the whole process is definitely takeing the tranny out of the car and putting it back in......I did the tranny and engine together with an engine hoist.
I swapped the C-clips, as per the kits recommendation. What happens at WOT? Mine just shifts like it should.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh its just that my 93 Vulcan is kinda gutless.....at WOT theres a nice very crisp 1-2 shift and your expecting a potential tire chirp....but the engine kinda lets you down.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Hey Gang:
Those of you that have installed the Transgo Kit for the AX4N, can you scan and post the install instructions for the rest of us? PDF format? Thanks.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
SK-AX4N Install Instructions 1995 and up

OK Gang:
I called TransGo and got the AX4N Shift Kit install instructions. I'm not sure who their technical writing staff is but these have got to be some of the cheesest install instruction for the valve body I've seen.

A synopsis of the modifications are:
1) drilling parts of the planetary gear set for better lubrication
2) adding an automatic transmission cooler
3) valve body mods with different pieces of hardware (e.g. springs, valves, balls)

On the up side of things, TransGo team recommends a tranny cooler for the AX4N as a general requirement to avoid failure. See Page 3, items 1 through 3 with cooling.

I'm glad I put my tranny cooler on several years ago. Heat from the oil will ruin o-rings and seals if the oil temperature is not kept in check, adding a cooler make a lot of sense. Additionally, I've tried looking for a deep transmission pan for the AX4N but no luck.

Make sure you have Adobe Reader version 9 or higher to read the PDF file.

One more item, according to torzer the sub-frame does not have to be removed to upgrade the valve body but the transmission support frame must be removed.

Monsoon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Drilling that planetary is some fairly precise stuff, there is a small needle bearing right where you have to drill. You nick that bearing or anything of the sort, you're screwed. And for sure don't break the bit off in there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm pretty good at turning a wrench. I'm looking to aquire another gen-4 bull (I will then have 2). If they have the same tranny, I am considering the purchase of a junk tranny to rebuild and place on the shelf.

What is a good price for a transmission from a junkyard?

How difficult is it to overhaul an AT for a Taurus? Anyone done this?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts