Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2002 Sable 3.0 Vulcan w/ 121,000 miles, and my tranny has been leaking alot the last few days. At first I felt it slipping whenever I made a turn and checked the fluid, it was low so I thought some trans stop-leak added to the extra fluid would help, it didn't. Now the damn car leaves a small puddle every place I stop and the slipping is worse. I noticed it slips the most when I make left turns, not so much when going right, if that helps any. Is it common for the trans pan gasket/seal to fail? I haven't had a chance to check where the leak is coming from but I would guess thats where its leaking at. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
68 Posts
It could be the tranny pan gasket - though, it's hard to tell without looking at it. However, if you have the OEM gasket or a good replacement on their, they're constructed pretty good - some of the best I've come across and certainly better than the old cork products I had to work with 20+ years ago.

You might want to address getting this issue resolved soon. If it's leaking fluid to the point of addressing your transmission performance, a leak that costs $100 to repair could turn into a $2,400 transmission rebuild.

Edit: Stop-Leak is designed to work by swelling the seals. I've really never seen it do a good job of sealing up a leaking gasket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm gonna take some pictures underneath it today and post em on here, hopefully a simple $25 filter w/ seal kit at Autozone will solve my problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
pics

here are the pics, it looks like the new EZ Drain oil pan plug is contributing a little to the puddles too. You can clearly see there is fluid all over the trans, but its hard to tell where its coming from...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
So easy it spews oil all over the underside of the car. So is that actually the oil that is spewed all over underneath or is the quick oil drain spewing it? Either way...might want to clean up all that oily mess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So easy it spews oil all over the underside of the car. So is that actually the oil that is spewed all over underneath or is the quick oil drain spewing it? Either way...might want to clean up all that oily mess.

yea, I cleaned it all off, and after I drive it a little today I'll have another look at it to see if I can spot the leak. You can tell by the red/pink-ish tint to the fluid on the trans, that it is trans fluid. I don't want to drive it too much, but I need to see where the fluid is coming from and I don't have time to park it at a shop for a few days.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd get the transmission serviced. Have a shop drop the pan, install a new filter and gasket along with a flush. Though I'm not the biggest fan of Pep Boys, they do both the filter change and complete flush for not too bad of a price. $155.00. Plus, there's a $20.00 off coupon on their Web site that you can print and apply at the time of service. The BG flushes, flush the tranny - but they don't touch the filter and gasket. The pan drops and filter changes that a tranny shop performs will only get 1/2 the fluid out of the tranny, so the Pep Boys variation seems the most complete. I just had the job performed on my tranny there.

In regards to that "quick-drain" oil plug, it looks like it's more hassle than it's worth. If it's contstantly dripping, then that isn't a good thing. You'll have to address that, too.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Do not get a power flush done on the transmission if that is what Pep Boys does. That will do more harm than good...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, after much research, wasted money, and ruined clothing. I have found the source of the leak. What you see in the pictures is the filler tube seated into the transmission, and after soaking the area in brake cleaner before filling the tranny with fluid, you can see fluid leaking from the filler tube grommet. Now my question is, is this a common leak for the AX4N? Did the grommet go bad, or is this another leak due to a blocked vent as outlined here http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/128662-removing-old-atx-vent-won-t-budge.html ???

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Are you sure you did not spill fluid when you filled it? I managed to spill some from the dipstick tube every time I added some.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used a funnel and I didn't spill any, so unless it overflowed around the spout of the funnel and flowed out of the top of the filler tube, I doubt it... I guess I'll drive it around and then do the brake cleaner test again :(

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That's exactly what happened to me. The funnel is so long to reach it that when it fills up it has enough head pressure to force some out the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You've over filled your transmission with stop leak and now you are over reacting to the overflow.
I seriously doubt that. I may have poured the fluid in too quickly, causing the fluid to drip down the filler tube, which caused the false positive on the brake cleaner test... either way, it didn't look like the pan gasket was the source of the leak. If its not the gasket, or the filler tube grommit, its gonna be a pain in the ass to find tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I can't explain it, but I've driven it for 2 nights now and the leak has slowed almost totally. The fluid level is fine after the 4 quarts i added sunday afternoon...

P.S. the EZ oil drain plug just needed tightening, so thats fine too ^_^

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...now its stopped running all togeather... I just love trying to push a car with my hands and steer it to the curb without power steering at the same time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
...now its stopped running all togeather... I just love trying to push a car with my hands and steer it to the curb without power steering at the same time.
Ouch! Put up some of the things you've checked over. Maybe, we can recommend a few other things to check.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Its not uncommon for leaks to develop there. All you need is a new o-ring and then make sure the tube is properly secured, as sometimes a loose fastener causes this problem.

AS far as the trans slipping when the fluid got low, you need to have that looked into, even a little slipping can cause incredible amounts of damage to the friction surfaces, sometimes tens of thousands of miles worth or wear.

I would definitely get the trans serviced, but make sure they do not power flush it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the fuel pump went out this morning, thats what stopped it today, but I'm having a shop look at the trans. A friend called one of his buddies at a transmission shop and asked about the vent stem, and his friend said it wasn't an issue. One way or another, I WILL have that car fixed by monday.

·
Registered
68 Posts
the fuel pump went out this morning, thats what stopped it today, but I'm having a shop look at the trans. A friend called one of his buddies at a transmission shop and asked about the vent stem, and his friend said it wasn't an issue. One way or another, I WILL have that car fixed by monday.
Double ouch. Well, at least the fuel pump didn't go out when it was in the middle of winter. When I owned a Corsica, mine went out on my early morning commute on the interstate, it zero degree weather. Fortunately, I was able to pull the car out of the way in between some Jersey walls that were set up for construction. Though, I had to hike about 2 miles to the next exit and get to the service station. The cost was about $300 + the tow. That was about 13 years ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts