Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mercury Sable 1996, DOHC, AX4N transmission.
Which is the "newest" AX4N (from pick-and-pull) that I can install in my car?

Mine seems that has issues with the differential. Rumbling and today I saw that the right side axle, inner CV coupling, moves in the transmission some 1" up-down, some in-out - that is with the hand.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
96-99 is plug and play iirc. not sure about 2000 +
You need to stick with 96 and 97s, as the final drive ratio changed part way through 98. Also some internal differences.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bigger tires from '98? Mine has 15" rims.
Anyway, a '97 won't have less miles than mine :(

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, then those rev's are higher at same speed?
Anyway, I don't know what to do. I like my Green Monster, but I don't know if is worth a whole rebuild of transmission just for differential.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
How many miles do you have on your car?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
177k. It had already a "transmission rebuild" at 86k, but I think they left the same final gears in. Big chain of transmission shops...

I had another manual that developed similar issues and I drove it like that untill a pice of it (satellite gear) came out flying thru the side wall of transmission.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Sheesh, not even another 100k out of the rebuild and it is closing in on needing another? Don't return to that shop...

Another rebuild will be 2K right? average that out over a year its almost like a used car payment every month (~$167/mo).

Do you live up north? If so, is there anything looking like it will rot out (ie rockers, subframe mounting points etc)?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live just shy of NC north border, so rust is not an issue on this car (in was on a car that I bought from north).
The previous "rebuild" was 2300$, done by a national franchise in transmissions (starts with C and ends with ottman). That shop changed owners and name two years after that.
I don't think I can do the transmission swap by myself, I was quoted some 400$ labor on that. A transmission from Ford dealer looks like is some 1900$ (plus 600$ core), I would have to call. A junk yard one with 50k miles is half that.
All in all I don't know if it is worth it. Maybe I just drive it like that till blows, but then I loose the core money (if that ever comes in play)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts