Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!, I have a 96 Taurus wagon and it has a dead ax4n, my frend has a frend... that rebuilds them so I asked him to pick me up an ax4n unit form a wrecker give it a full rebuild and send it my way, cool!. So he did but it turns out he sent an axod unit [axod is printed on the covers]. He thinks its ok to install it, but i was wondering if anyone knows if the ax4n can be swopped for an axod unit???.

I read the axod is the same unit as axod-e and ax4s and that my model of taurus has olny two types of trans the ax4n and the ax4s units.

Any help would be great!.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I thought the AOd and AODE where rear wheel drive trannys.
I had a AODE in my 87 Grand Marquise.

So I don't think it will work.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Originally posted by D Man@Jun 29 2004, 05:18 PM
I thought the AOd and AODE where rear wheel drive trannys.
I had a AODE in my 87 Grand Marquise.

So I don't think it will work.
While the AOD/AOD-E may be rear drive transmissions, all tauri/sables which are fwd and use the AXOD/AXOD-E in essentialy a modernized version known as the AX4S (automatic transaxle four speed synchronous) or AX4N (automatic transaxle four speed nonsynchronous) they all have AXOD or AXOD-Metric stamped on the transmission pan however iirc, what year car did the transaxle come from does he know? Good Luck. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for you comments!!. I did ask my frend to pickup a 96 model FWD trans, im not so sure what it is, the tag and trans casing have been painted so i guess its from 96-01. Do you think it matter?.

Where i live the Taurus is pretty uncommon so it's not so easy to get good info, but i have got a Haynes teardown manual and a Saluson transmission parts manual that helps alot!. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts