Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Concerned that my tranny's about to blow up, I'm going to grab an AX4N from the boneyard to rebuild. I know I need the PCM, I know I need the axle shafts, and I know I need a bunch of other stuff, maybe. I'm also going to grab the floor shifter out of an SHO, because the column is angering me.

So, I know these things were mated to the SHO V8 that made 235 hp at 6 grand, and 230 ft-lbs eventually, at some point in time. While my vulcan has given my 4S a good thrashing, it's not exactly capable of tearing out the insides of a 4N... yet. When the subframe's down for the tranny swap, I'm planning on redoing the valvetrain and throwing in a more aggressive cam.

Looking ahead to the hell I'll subject this new tranny to, I'm trying to make it the best I can. There's only one shift kit I can find (unlike the two for the 4S). Is that all I need to add to the valve body? I'm also getting one of SHOsource's torque converters once Matt & I can sort out shipping to this frosty wasteland I call Canada. One other thing I'm looking at is 3.98 gears, though I don't know the cheapest option of going about that. I'm ordering the Master kit off bulkpart.com, too (and the manual). Also, it's getting a beefy ATF cooler. Is there anything else internal I should look into for strength/durability? Anything I'm forgetting about?

Also, how different are PCMs? Chassis-wise, are all programs loaded, and it just operates based on what signals it gets; or if the donor car had a 6-disk CD changer and mine didn't, it'll back-fire the engine or something? Would I be safer taking the box to a stealership and explain the situation?

And one other thing... are the chassis wiring harnesses the same? Will I easily be able to find wiring to route the O/D off button, or will it be studying all 14 different PCM pin configurations and running new wires to it?

Fun fun.

-Dan

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I don't think your ecu can control the AX4N. You could ask Paul if he can do a x-cal reprogram to control the 4n with your 4s ecu.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The ax4n in the 04 up vulcans got 3.98 gears. I don't think the SHO ones or duratec will bolt up to a vulcan.
Where'd you hear that? Vulcans have always had 3.77. Tecs had 3.98 mid 1998 until the end.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Where'd you hear that? Vulcans have always had 3.77. Tecs had 3.98 mid 1998 until the end.
It's true, Bull Geek. 2004+ AX4N's had 3.98 final drives with both engines.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The SHO transmission wont bolt up so you would need to get one from a Vulcan.
I know. I'm getting the tranny from a vulcan taurus, along with it's PCM, and the axle shafts. Then, though I'm not sure about 4S y-pipes clearing the 4N, I read somewhere that 4th gen vulcan exhaust manifolds are used as headers on vulcan probes, so I'm grabbing myself a set of those, and buying your G4 y-pipe, which only fits a 4N.

I'm just entering my ordering stage, so I want to know if there's anything else I need to line up to get this tranny built right.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know. I'm getting the tranny from a vulcan taurus, along with it's PCM, and the axle shafts. Then, though I'm not sure about 4S y-pipes clearing the 4N, I read somewhere that 4th gen vulcan exhaust manifolds are used as headers on vulcan probes, so I'm grabbing myself a set of those, and buying your G4 y-pipe, which only fits a 4N.

I'm just entering my ordering stage, so I want to know if there's anything else I need to line up to get this tranny built right.
Just makin sure you know, but the probe guys just use two of the manifolds at the front of the engine. So that's bank 2.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I didn't know that. I don't feel like mucking around with clearance issues and custom y-pipes, so I'll stick with the G4 setup. I think it'll still be better than my G3 manifolds and old stock y-pipe.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I can tell, the drive chain is the same on 3.77 and 3.98 transmissions. I just need the two different sprockets. The cheapest I can find online is ~$250 before shipping, which might add the taxes and such. I can get a '98 'tec tranny for $300 from the yard...

I'm going to call them later and see if there's randomly a 3.98 tranny declared dead and detached from a motor. I can't see the sprockets costing me more than $150 if I pull them myself.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.