Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
AX4N to AXOS Swap

Daughter wrecked her 01 Taurus U code, axos, have available an 00 Sable with Ucode, ax4n (Bad head gasket and tranny run dry) and want to do a cradle swap and junk the rest of the Taurus. I figure I have to swap PCM and engine bay wiring harness, but the connectors under the dash don't have the same pin patterns. Is the cabin wiring harness a standard item. or does that have to be swapped, too? What kind of trouble will I run into doing this, and what else needs to be done?

Sorry club members, haven't figured out how to start a new thread????:huh:

·
Registered
75 Posts
final drive?

The gear ratio is the ratio of input revolutions to output revolutions. A 3.77 gear ratio means that the transmission shaft (drive gear) turns 3.77 revolutions for every revolution of the half-shafts (driven gear).
is this normal or final drive? Also, is "axle" ratio the same as "rearend"?

thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes better acceleration. My car runs about 2800 rpms at 70 mph. It does need a chip or tuning to make the TC happy.
So when you say tuning, can this be done at a dealer ?
Just to get the pcm to respond properly to the new inputs, will Ford do the programming for me ? Or do I need to look for someone who does custom work ?
FYI, newer trans installed and having some TC quirks.
Thanks !!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
So when you say tuning, can this be done at a dealer ?
Just to get the pcm to respond properly to the new inputs, will Ford do the programming for me ? Or do I need to look for someone who does custom work ?
FYI, newer trans installed and having some TC quirks.
Thanks !!
You will need somehting like a SCT Tuner. Ford wont know what to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You will need somehting like a SCT Tuner. Ford wont know what to do.
Yeah I actually just got off the phone with the local dealer...said they don't get involved with any type of modifications like that. Generally just replace with new of the same.
I'll have to locate a tuner and someone who knows what to do with it ;-)
Thanks again !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
AX Transmission.

I recently had a re-man transmission, and torque converter put in my '03 Taurus. According to the installation information the new transmission is listed as a 4F50N, replacing the AXOD. However, the oil pan on the new transmission is stamped AXAN. I know these transmissions are all of the same family, but I am curious, do you think it's a 4F50N, or is it a AXAN? Also, any ideas as to the final drive ratio? Thanks.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
17 Participants
sheila
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing