Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a web site that list the final drive ratio of the AX4N/S trannys up to '95. As long as the final drive ratio matches what is on your car the parts are the same for post '95. http://www.transonline.com/transDigest/mag...ters/index.html

What I did to change the 3.77 ratio to the 3.98 was to use the 3.0L '96 Windstar parts. These should be the same parts used in the +'98 Taurus/Sable with the 3.98 final drive.

[attachmentid=15049]
[attachmentid=15050]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It multiplies the torque. Quicker rise in RPMs but higher rpms for any given speed when compared to a lower ratio.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes better acceleration. My car runs about 2800 rpms at 70 mph. It does need a chip or tuning to make the TC happy.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You know, I came across that diagram a while ago and I was going to use it for the Encyclopedia, but it kind of confused me. I've always thought the final gear ratio was the number of teeth on the larger gear around the differential so I wasn't sure the diagram was talking about the same thing with that chain and sprocket.

BTW, is all that info correct?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The gear ratio is the ratio of input revolutions to output revolutions. A 3.77 gear ratio means that the transmission shaft (drive gear) turns 3.77 revolutions for every revolution of the half-shafts (driven gear).

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found out the 34 tooth gear is obsolete but the +'98 Taurus DOHC 3.0L has the right parts.

chain

F7DZ-7G249-AA

34 tooth sprocket

F8DZ-7G129-AA

39 tooth sprocket

F8DZ-7G132-AA

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not easy to do unless you are experienced in transmission rebuilding.

I want to thank Torrie McPhail at Fast Parts Network for his help as he is the one who has answered my numerous emails and provided the drawings in getting these numbers.

FWIW I ordered the '96 Windstar parts for a total of $238 shipped

The '98 parts are $320 shipped :(

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
i've disassembled and reassembled the SHO mtx 5 spd, and a f-150 MTX, was just curious if there was one, instead of finding out the differences the hard way ;)

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
This should DEFINITELY be archived somewhere on this site, whether it's in the wiki or made into a sticky.

As usual Paul, thanks for all the hard work researching this.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It does not apply to the MTX. There is no different FD that you can put in the MTX that I am aware of.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I've seen a transmission dissassembled totally. It's not hard at all and doesn't require super special tools. I have a video made of an entire AX4S dissassembled, if enough interest, I'll upload it, its kinda large in size.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've seen a transmission dissassembled totally. It's not hard at all and doesn't require super special tools. I have a video made of an entire AX4S dissassembled, if enough interest, I'll upload it, its kinda large in size.
[/b]
You should most definately add it. I am currently making a slideshow of my teardown and rebuild on my AX4N...might take a little while to do so, but nonetheless it's coming.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts