Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are their asjustable bands on the 02 Tausrus's with the axod? My neighbor who is a great mechanic took my car for a ride and said if it was clutches slipping as long as I said the trans would be burnt up by now along with the oil.:(

·
Registered
130 Posts
Now, get me if I'm wrong, but the 02 model shouldnt have an AXOD, but a AX4N or something else. As far as differences go, all I know is that the AX4N is computer controlled. Anything on a newer model would be computer controlled, you can watch input and output shaft speeds with a good scanner to see if you really have any slip. Your message is incredibly vague. BTW, the only band in the AX4N transmission is the OD band and it doesnt have any adjustment. Read your second sentence and think of a good way to re-word it so we can all understand it. Also, post your symptoms that you are experiencing. Just for fun: if you ever change the fluid in one of these, use Mercon V. Let us know whats up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now, get me if I'm wrong, but the 02 model shouldnt have an AXOD, but a AX4N or something else. As far as differences go, all I know is that the AX4N is computer controlled. Anything on a newer model would be computer controlled, you can watch input and output shaft speeds with a good scanner to see if you really have any slip. Your message is incredibly vague. BTW, the only band in the AX4N transmission is the OD band and it doesnt have any adjustment. Read your second sentence and think of a good way to re-word it so we can all understand it. Also, post your symptoms that you are experiencing. Just for fun: if you ever change the fluid in one of these, use Mercon V. Let us know whats up.
the side pan says axod and the used trans I am considering buying says the same and it's a 02 also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, the car slipps when you take of in first but if you back off the throttle a bit it seems to hook up solid, then the shift to secound gear is a little sloppy but hook up good in second, second to third gear it does not hook up right away, engine revs up then hook up to third and then all is fine going down the road, but when you hit hard at 60 mph or so, it slips some going down to the passing gear then hooks up fine. I did the diy flush recently with a filter and used the Mercon 5 like it say but didnt help. Oh, one more thing, it shifts much better first thing in the morn when fluid is cool.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
When you did the flush, what color was the fluid that came out?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
There are bands, but they are not considered adjustable. The adjustments are meant to be a one time deal the first time they bands are installed. If you adjust them tighter, they can break. By the time they start slipping they are in need or replacement, not adjustment.

I guess the AXOD was used well beyonds its time. Sorry you have one of the rare Taurus' that has one after 1996. I would rather rebuilt the old one than mess with a swap though.

·
Registered
23,579 Posts
Maybe swap out the oss (output shaft speed sensor) for a cheap shot in the dark. They usually rear their ugly heads with slipping 1-2 shifts and erratic shift points when the car (tranny) has warmed up. Any speedo issues?

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I guess the AXOD was used well beyonds its time.
He most likely has an AX4S, the AX4S still has the pan on the bottom that says "AXOD METRIC", I know mine did.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are bands, but they are not considered adjustable. The adjustments are meant to be a one time deal the first time they bands are installed. If you adjust them tighter, they can break. By the time they start slipping they are in need or replacement, not adjustment.

I guess the AXOD was used well beyonds its time. Sorry you have one of the rare Taurus' that has one after 1996. I would rather rebuilt the old one than mess with a swap though.
184 k isnt bad on the trans, right? not paying for a rebuild

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
184k is almost to the point of needing a rebuild on that model.
And I think that the model is really AX4S - they didn't change the stamping on the covers. Only the AX4N has different stamping - because they change the covers.
More info.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
oh, thats why when I called about a torque converter there was some confusion with the saleman, well i have a trans lined up with a person whos wife's 02 Taurus got wrecked bad, 72k miles for 350.00, pick up this week

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
any of you every change out your trans on car ramps by yourself? Is it a doable thing with out buying expensive tools?

·
Registered
130 Posts
You will need jack stands. The front tires cant touch the ground for this job. You have to drop the front subframe to get the transmission out. You can leave the engine in the car if you have an engine support fixture. The subframe is a little heavy, so you will need floorjacks to help you safely lower and raise it.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I have a friend that did it in the driveway with jacks, stands, 6x4's and cinderblocks. I thought he was crazy, took him hours just to get the car, engine, and transmission to right positions. The whole thing was a two 12 hour days job in the end.
It is doable, but for 250$ I wouldn't.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a friend that did it in the driveway with jacks, stands, 6x4's and cinderblocks. I thought he was crazy, took him hours just to get the car, engine, and transmission to right positions. The whole thing was a two 12 hour days job in the end.
It is doable, but for 250$ I wouldn't.
I agree, he said he can do it in a day no problem?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
My friend won't do it again. Says it's too old for all that wrestling :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts