Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill cut to the point of this thread. Yesterday as I was working inside the car I had it idling for about an hour so I coukd keep cool with high ac while working inside it. After I was done I went to drive it and it would shift into p n r od d and 1 just fine but It wouldnt shift past first gear in drive or over drive i even pushed it to 4k rpms with no luck. So Iturned around and went back home and figured id go out there this morning and take note of details to make a post for help.

But today its running smoothly.

Yesterday when i first went in to drive, the car shook or w.e u want to call it (jumped?) and never did it again once I shifted back and forth. But would do it again when I would restart the car.

Today it was just a minor as expected movement when I went into drive.

I plan on changing the tranny filter and fluid this week anyway so its parked till I can get to it but does anyone here know what the problem was (maybe idling in park for and hour made the tranny angry?)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hsvent. Scanned it yet. Ill drive it to the auto store when I get filters and fluid and ill get them to scan it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The last thing I did was drain the coolant and change the tstat bout a week ago. Nothing was unplugged

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I was doing cosmetic things to the interior and running a wiring harness for the aftermarket radio, but the harness wasnt plugged in or anything so they werent active wires.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Oh, I was doing cosmetic things to the interior and running a wiring harness for the aftermarket radio, but the harness wasnt plugged in or anything so they werent active wires.
You'd be surprised what IS live when your ignition is off. A good rule of thumb is to always disconnect your battery when installing audio gear, even if you get all hot and sticky...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand, but I meant neither end of the harness was connected to anything. It was dark outside so I was just running the wires under the kick plates and such.

Ill get the codes tmrw

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope, just along the side of the car. Got wires tucked udpnder the seat till i get around to actually installing the radio

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmm. It could be a few things. My two cents is, it could potentially be the trans acting up due to the trans fluid overheating and breaking down its viscosity, because of the catalytic converter being right underneath the trans pan. I thought I read that you were planning to change the fluid and filter. If that's the case, pay attention to the color and the way the fluid smells. If its a light brown, or pinkish color, its likely overheating. That's what my 96 GL did.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Is there a way to cool the tranny fluid?

I can imagine if overheating is the case its cause I was sitting still and the tranny was prob like an oven vs e on the hwy with air flow.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You could install a transmission cooler. There should be a wiki or entry in the e-z topic finder on how to do this - not too difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Is there a way to cool the tranny fluid?

I can imagine if overheating is the case its cause I was sitting still and the tranny was prob like an oven vs e on the hwy with air flow.

You'd be surprised. Actually driving heats up the fluid pretty quickly vs. sitting still. The transmission pump isn't really under load while parked, but the fluid gets pumped pretty quickly while you are driving and the wind doesn't take too much heat off. (Unless you have a decent-sized transmission cooler that is.)

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Hot All Times

You'd be surprised what IS live when your ignition is off. A good rule of thumb is to always disconnect your battery when installing audio gear, even if you get all hot and sticky...
Agree with hot wiring.
Good point.

Look through any wiring diagram.
Haines manual air cond page.

40A to blower motor relay "Hot At All Times".

Just a quick example on my open page. And power locks on the next page 30A.

Good info to keep in mind.

-chart-

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Tranny coolers not gonna help much with it idling an hour or 2 in hot temps and the ac runnin full tilt boogie, lol!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No trannY codes but i got the filter and let me get this right... 13.5 quarts of mercon v?!

Gosh.... So ive bought all ther mercon v from all the surrounding walmarts and ive only got 12 containers...

While changing the fluid is comething I need to do now im wondering if I waNt tojust change the filter if ive really gotta drain all that tranny fluid and if I could just reuse it if its clean. Unless the fluid is ready to be changed cause id like to do tranny maintenience like once every yr or two

1 - 20 of 23 Posts