Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a 2006 transmission in my 2004 Taurus (Vulcan).
Everything bolted up nicely but I need some advice regarding the arm that the shifter cable connects to.
I removed the arm with cable attached from my 2004 transmission before I removed the transmission.
The 2006 transmission (now installed) has a much deeper bend in the arm. See attached pictures, the new (2006) arm is on the left and the old one (2004) is on the right with cable still attached.
I was planning to just bolt on the 2004 arm but I have run into the following problem:

The old and new arms are parallel as you can see but the slots where the arms bolt on to the black "switch" are on totally different angles.

I don't think I can use the 2006 arm as it has a much deeper bend.

Do I need to change out the black "switch" as well so the 2004 arm is bolted to the 2004 switch?

Some expert advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, John Kenneth

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Discovered that the 2006 with the deep bend is for a floor shift

1. I cleaned both lever arms. The 2006 has "floor" stamped on it. The 2004 which is the original arm has "column" stamped on it (my car is a column shift) So that solves one question.

2. Is the speed sensor the same for a column or a floor shift?

3. The "column" lever arm also has an arrow stamped on it. I assume the arrow indicates some type of adjustment?
Any help is appreciated. Thnaks, John Kenneth

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
The arrow is just to show how it goes on.
Put the shifter in park and rotate the arm on the trans in the direction you need to match up to the park position. I don't have a bull at the house so I can't tell which direction to move to.
Adjustment is the slot you see at the cable end. Just make sure column lever moves the arm fully to park so park is fully engaged so it can't jump out of that position when parked on a incline.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installed the arm on the range sensor - hope it is set correctly

I moved the arm on the range sensor several "clicks" counterclockwise until the oval part lined up with my range sensor arm (still attached to the cable). You can see this clearly in the left photo above.
This may have been as far counterclockwise as it goes.
My column shifter in the car is in Park.
So this means Park on the range sensor is as far as it goes counterclockwise?
I hope this is right.

Thanks for the help, John Kenneth

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ALL 3 Range Sensors appear to be the same

I looked at my original 2004 range sensor and my new 2006 range sensor and studied the pictures you attached.
All seem to be identical.
My lever arm in park (with cable attached) looks to be the same as yours in park.
Slight angle of the arm relative to the black range sensor looks to be the same as yours.

Also, note the D and N embossed on the top of the range sensor. These must be reference lines for alignment.
Wonder what the "special alignment tool" looks like? probably a disk or quadrant that fits on the oval locator in the middle(under the nut) and points to the embossed lines when you are in Drive and Neutral.

Car should be finished tomorrow so I will post a conclusion. Thanks so much for posting the pictures, very helpful and much appreciated. John Kenneth

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back on the Road and Everything is OK

The car is back on the road. I have driven a few miles around town and everything seems to be OK.
The shifter linkage is fine, all positions where they should be.

I have kept some notes and took some pictures. I will post information that may be useful for others.

I have to make a 250 mile roundtrip next week which will be the true test. 120 miles on the Interstate followed by some stop/go city driving. This is where the problems with the old transmission turned up.
Thanks to all who helped and contributed. I couldn't have done it without this forum. John Kenneth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
JayKay
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing