Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fount http://www.paintmycar.net

I have some scratches in my paint and I've been thinking I eventually want the car repainted anyway. These folks have a shop about 10 miles from me. I've gotten quotes of over $300 just to repaint a bumper on my car, yet this place looks to offer thier number one complete paint job with a six year warrenty for $600!

I wonder if paint selection is really limited at this place or something. Sounds like an awsome deal to me.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Sounds like a very good idea. I would just make sure they're not using some el-cheapo paint. Take a trip down there and see if there are any recently painted cars around to check out the quality.

I'm the one whoo needs a paint job. Hundreds of little chips on the front end, and now the clear coat is peeling in cetain areas. I guess that's what you get for buying a company car that sat outside for a few years.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Earl Scheib is exactly like Maaco. Cheap paint, no prep work, peeling, severely mismatched colors, painted tires.. I've heard many horror stories about this place.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
It's probably single stage, no clear. You pay for what you get in paint. Count on a good 2-3k for a decent paint job at least.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by 97GreenStreak3.0@Dec 11 2003, 03:48 PM
I guess that's what you get for buying a company car that sat outside for a few years.
It's not that... it's how well the car is taken care of. If you take care of the paint (washing regularly, waxing, etc), it can look very very good for many years.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by n2_space+Dec 11 2003, 04:00 PM-->QUOTE (n2_space @ Dec 11 2003, 04:00 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-97GreenStreak3.0
@Dec 11 2003, 03:48 PM
I guess that's what you get for buying a company car that sat outside for a few years.
It's not that... it's how well the car is taken care of. If you take care of the paint (washing regularly, waxing, etc), it can look very very good for many years. [/b]
We bought the car about 2 years ago, and yes, I have taken care of it ever since. Beforehand, I'm guessing it just sat outside through the sun, rain, and snow without getting washed often, and I doubt it was waxed 2 times a year if it was ever waxed at all. I'm sure that can't be good for the paint.

Remember, it's a 97 that we bought used in 2001, which equates to 4 years of sitting outside without proper care.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by 97GreenStreak3.0+Dec 11 2003, 04:09 PM-->QUOTE (97GreenStreak3.0 @ Dec 11 2003, 04:09 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 11 2003, 04:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-97GreenStreak3.0
@Dec 11 2003, 03:48 PM

It's not that... it's how well the car is taken care of. If you take care of the paint (washing regularly, waxing, etc), it can look very very good for many years.
We bought the car about 2 years ago, and yes, I have taken care of it ever since. Beforehand, I'm guessing it just sat outside through the sun, rain, and snow without getting washed often, and I doubt it was waxed 2 times a year if it was ever waxed at all. I'm sure that can't be good for the paint.

Remember, it's a 97 that we bought used in 2001, which equates to 4 years of sitting outside without proper care. [/b]
Exactly, if you don't don't from the get go...

However, you can revive old paint, is it oxidized? Just dull? I can help you out

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by KnightM@Dec 11 2003, 04:02 PM
Or you could paint it yourself, assuming that you have the proper tools.. saves a hell of a lot of money..
Which 99.99% Don't... and you better know what you're doing, or you're asking for trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I explained it in my first post, but there are many little chips on the front bumper, (undoubtedly from my Dad's co-workers driving it back and forth from Cleveland to WV) and recently, the clear coat has started to peel in certain areas.

Other than that, the paint is a little duller (more dull?) than I would like it to be. Should I check out your detailing thread in the archives?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by n2_space@Dec 11 2003, 03:58 PM
It's probably single stage, no clear. You pay for what you get in paint. Count on a good 2-3k for a decent paint job at least.
Well that's what I found odd. I would think that it would be crappy prep and lousy painting, except thier high end job they have the paint and the clear coat. It sounds good. $45 moer for UV protectant. Did anyone check out the website?

I would like to go look at some cars they've done already. And with the six year warrenty, if the paint goes to hell after six years, for $600 I could have them paint it again.

But, of course, I realized... if it's too good to be true... it probably is.

I'd take my painting consultant (i.e. that wessy guy) with me to look at thier quality if I actually decided to have this done.

-Dan

·
Registered
230 Posts
be carefull with bargain paint jobs, my dad was telling me a story from when he grew up in queens.
there was a place that would paint any car for $50
he got about 5 customers before he went out of buisness, as he would spray the car with your home depot quality spraypaint, no primer, no prep work, if you didn't mask your windows or tires he would just paint right over those, so just be careful...
my $.02

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by 97GreenStreak3.0@Dec 11 2003, 04:21 PM
I explained it in my first post, but there are many little chips on the front bumper, (undoubtedly from my Dad's co-workers driving it back and forth from Cleveland to WV) and recently, the clear coat has started to peel in certain areas.

Other than that, the paint is a little duller (more dull?) than I would like it to be. Should I check out your detailing thread in the archives?
Sorry, I must have missed that. If you have clear coat failure, you are SOL
You can do some things liven up the rest of the paint... if it is dull, trying polishing the paint, start with something light like S100 Shine Enhancing Paint Cleasner (SEPC), you may want to try Klasse AIO (All in One) if SEPC doesn't do it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Originally posted by FatTortoise@Dec 11 2003, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I say becarefull..

I saw this car in the parking lot at my school, and he had a paint job, but the place didnt even paint under his licence plate!!!
omg that's crazy. If I was the guy, I'd be so pissed.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by dant98+Dec 11 2003, 04:44 PM-->QUOTE (dant98 @ Dec 11 2003, 04:44 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-n2_space
@Dec 11 2003, 03:58 PM
It's probably single stage, no clear.  You pay for what you get in paint.  Count on a good 2-3k for a decent paint job at least.
Well that's what I found odd. I would think that it would be crappy prep and lousy painting, except thier high end job they have the paint and the clear coat. It sounds good. $45 moer for UV protectant. Did anyone check out the website?

I would like to go look at some cars they've done already. And with the six year warrenty, if the paint goes to hell after six years, for $600 I could have them paint it again.

But, of course, I realized... if it's too good to be true... it probably is.

I'd take my painting consultant (i.e. that wessy guy) with me to look at thier quality if I actually decided to have this done.

-Dan [/b]
I would be very careful.... find out how many coats. I can almost bet it won't be as good as factory, unless you are paying big bucks. Ask to see other examples, look for any drips, and orange peel. Ford actually has very good paint, if you have a few chips and scratches, I can tell ya how to fix those

·
Registered
668 Posts
Originally posted by FatTortoise@Dec 11 2003, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I say becarefull..

I saw this car in the parking lot at my school, and he had a paint job, but the place didnt even paint under his licence plate!!!
LOL! That looks hilarious!

5 Bucks says Twilight makes that into an owned pic.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
N2 My main problem is a big deep scrape that runs from behind my hood all the way to to my C pillar. It's a deep scratch. I've got some touch up paint on it now to prevent rust, but it still looks like a**. I started to repair it myself, and was getting there, but just didn't have the time to go back and do it right when I've got class and work and it's a daily driver. Not to mention my FUBAR front bumper that likes to flake it's paint off.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by dant98@Dec 11 2003, 11:54 PM
N2 My main problem is a big deep scrape that runs from behind my hood all the way to to my C pillar. It's a deep scratch. I've got some touch up paint on it now to prevent rust, but it still looks like a**. I started to repair it myself, and was getting there, but just didn't have the time to go back and do it right when I've got class and work and it's a daily driver. Not to mention my FUBAR front bumper that likes to flake it's paint off.

-Dan
The scratch has to be wet sanded and leveled after touching it up. As for the flaking, repaint is the only option....
Silver seems to flake more than any other color I have seen..... <_<

1 - 20 of 41 Posts