Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bit of a suprise when I took my '96 GL wagon in for an oil change. The joint between the stabilizer bar and link on the passenger side fell completely apart!

What would it take to get this fixed? The guy at the dealer that did the oil change said it was $75.00 for the stabilizer link and $200.00 to install. (cdn. funds) Considering what I assumerd was the part that needs replaced, that labor bill seems seriously high, like by about $150.00. Which part is the ball joint between the stabilizer and link mounted on? The bar itself or the link? My Chilton manual does not have any info on removing the link, but it does list instructions for removing the bar, if its the link that needs replaced, how easy is it?

There seems to be plenty of room behind the tire to remove the old link and install a new one, even with the tire still on the car. (when up on the hoist anyway...) The ball joint pieces still line up, the link is now just -swaying in the breeze- but the ball joint will still go together, but just falls apart again right away... After this is fixed, is a trip to an allignment shop warranted? Goes to show how much I know about suspensions!

Any and all help appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
A stabilizer link takes me all of 25 minutes to change with hand tools. Get yourself a pair of jack stands and have a go at it. You'll surprise yourself with your newfound mechanical prowess!

Really, is unbelieveably easy to change a sway link; front or rear.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a feeling I was getting -snowed-...

Considering its almost -40 this week up here!

I have a feeling the tire shop I went to was reading the wrong info in the rate book, I just bet the guy read the stabilizer bar shop rates instead of the link ones. Jeeze...

Oh well, I still wonder where the dealer got theirs, or are their hourly rates about $200.00 per hour now?

Scarry...

Thanks Racer! Once the weather can get back up a few degrees it will be a snap to fix!!

Now I just got to save up for some new tires... Looking around $450 to $500 for a set of 4 after install...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts