Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

just wondering how do you activate the auxiliary lamps on a 96 taurus? they are the lowest ones on the bumper and i cant find it anywhere in the manual, are they activate on high beam?? i have tested them with a light up poker thingy and no power is getting to them, i checked the high beam fuse and its fine.

sorry for my ignorance, im writing from australia and no one has any idea about these cars here...

any help would be great :rolleyes2:

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
idk about the australian taurus but here the 2000+ sable you turn the headlights on then pull out the switch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (sable23 @ Apr 17 2009, 01:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=718289
idk about the australian taurus but here the 2000+ sable you turn the headlights on then pull out the switch[/b]

wow, didnt actually know u could do that, anyway, i tried it and again nothing happened. perhaps they were disabled for aus? i know we've got laws on fog lamps etc...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so silva are u saying that the lights are there, the globes are there, but without a mod there is no way to turn them on???

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (silvapain @ Apr 20 2009, 01:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=718989
Perhaps you should post a pic of the front of your car so we can see just what lights you are talking about.[/b]
I'm going to second the motion. Are you sure there are no buttons or switches near the Headlamp switch? That's quite odd if there isn't and you have an auxiliary light source.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, see attachment.

interestingly, the aussie taurus front bumper looks different from the US one...

the light swith can be pulled out when normal lights are activated, but nothing happens...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
QUOTE (portpiro @ Apr 22 2009, 05:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719524
ok, see attachment.

interestingly, the aussie taurus front bumper looks different from the US one...

the light swith can be pulled out when normal lights are activated, but nothing happens...[/b]
It can be pulled out because that is how you are supposed to remove the switch module...

Maybe post a picture of your dash?

The Aussie Taurus is VERY different the North American Taurus... It has Sable lights, a unique bumper and those are obviously some kind of fog light/driving light... Since you live there, you'd probably know best what kind of regulations there are for cars... Is there some law about having independent day time running lights?

It's not really something that we can easily answer since the American Tauruses don't have such lights and we aren't familiar with the reasons why Australian Tauruses would have required those lights to be there... The reason the turn signals are mounted in the bumper are probably as a result of Australian law too... Like the turn signals have to be mounted on the corners and the American Taurus had them mounted in the centre... Therefore, for the car to be street legal there, they had to make some changes... I also suspect those aux lights you are talking about are as a result of some Australian law too... They are mandated there, but not here...

If you have a manual, I'd look there first because it will actually give you the name of them/describe a reason for them... Also, they will tell you how to active them! They look like they came from the factory like that.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Did you check the fuses? :dunno:

Every car I've ever seen, regardless of where it was from (although I don't know Australia's laws) shut the fog lights off with the brights - this is a dumb question, but did you make sure the high beams were off when you pulled the switch?

Almost every relatively recent Ford product activates the fog lamps by pulling the headlight switch knob out, and the G3/4 Taurus/Sable is the right age to only let you pull the knob out with the headlights on (newer ones let you use the fogs without the headlights). Does it feel like a switch when you pull it out?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Apr 22 2009, 12:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719583
Did you check the fuses? :dunno:

Every car I've ever seen, regardless of where it was from (although I don't know Australia's laws) shut the fog lights off with the brights - this is a dumb question, but did you make sure the high beams were off when you pulled the switch?

Almost every relatively recent Ford product activates the fog lamps by pulling the headlight switch knob out, and the G3/4 Taurus/Sable is the right age to only let you pull the knob out with the headlights on (newer ones let you use the fogs without the headlights). Does it feel like a switch when you pull it out?[/b]
Again, pulling out the switch knob in a G3 is the way you remove the module... It has nothing to do with the foglights.

Turn on the lights, pull out the switch, put a small flat screwdriver in the groove at the back of the switch, push lightly, pull the switch knob off, put the switch knob on backwards then turn the switch back to the left and the entire module will come right out of the dash... It's possible that they made a unique switch module for the Australian Taurus that works differently, but I doubt it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts