Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using the Autozone adaptors, ball joint removal worked well.
But installing is another story.
The logical installation would seem to be to put the cone shaped adaptor over the stud end with the boot so the boot doesn't get messed up, it seems to fit nicely.
And a similar adaptor to the removal adaptor on top with a smaller diameter to press the new ball joint in.
But there isn't one.
So how are you supposed to use this adaptor kit to install the new ball joints?

AutoZone have a picture of a Tooltopia kit on their website which appears to have all the necessary adaptors.
But the one they rent is missing one.

Their guy in the store was nice enough but had no idea how to solve the problem.
Their on-line chat person told me to contact the store.

If you put the cone shaped adaptor on the top to press in the ball joint, how do you not tear up the boot?

I really could use some help right now. Much appreciated John Kenneth

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Look at the image in the pic to see how the set is used. I took off the boot on my Moog ball joint because I ripped one. The OEM style joints have a plastic boot protector but I would wrap the boot with duct tape to protect it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem Solved, Here's How I Did It

Referring to the attached pictures, yes, I used the Taurus/Sable adaptor set from Autozone, looks like O'Reilly's use the same kit.
Pressing out the old ball joints was straight forward, don't forget to remove the circlips.
I used a long "cheater" on my breaker bar. I had to put a lot of pressure on one then a sharp tap with a medium hammer on the hex end of the G-Clamp broke it loose. The receiver "cup" in the set, and visible in the photo, allows you to press the ball joint up into the cup, The small adaptor fits over the threaded end of the ball joint.

Instal new ball joint I & II shows the cone shaped adaptor over the threaded end of the new ball joint. The inside is big enough to accept the boot. I greased the inside and didn't have any problem with damaging the boot.

The other end is where I had the problem. The kit doesn't have an adaptor to install the ball joint. If you try to use an adaptor from the G-Clamp kit, the clamp is not big enough to accept the cone and the adaptor. Apparently some people just use the end of the G-Clamp to press the top of the ball joint. That looked difficult to keep everything lined up and I didn't try it.
I used part of an old bearing I had kicking around my tool box it fitted the end of the ball joint perfectly (see pictures) this enabled me to keep everything lined up and pressed both ball joints in perfectly.
If only the adaptor set had that part, it would have saved a lot of time trying to figure this thing out.

Some of the other Taurus/Sable adaptor kits appear to have another "cup" similar to the removal cup but smaller diameter. That would work well.

Now, listen up anyone from Autozone who can make a corporate decision . . . provide a concentric adaptor that fits neatly inside the existing removal cup and about 1/2 mm shorter. Now you have an inexpensive adaptor that fits the end of the ball joint and keeps it straight and aligned. Pressing it in is a breeze and instead of frustrated angry customers you have satisfied customers who come back and spend money in your store . . . . and this didn't cost you a dime.

Hope this helps some other shade tree mechanics out there, John Kenneth

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can mouse over the pictures and see the file names which may help make the explanation clearer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
JayKay
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing