Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My kid's Taurus with the 3.0 engine has sudennly starterd skipping and the Autozone scanner read P0304 Cam Positioning Sensor with cam detector out most of the time. connectionds out sometimes and a possible timing belt/chain rarely. Sensor is $30 here , and I'm thinking of just going on and changing it out. Is this a complicated thing, willl I need special tools? , and can it be checked with a multimeter?

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Code was probably po340 for the cmp (camshaft position sensor which affects injector timing). Po304 indicates a misfire on #4 cylinder. Are you hearing any squeaks or chirps from the driver side area? If it were me, i would r&r the cmp and the camshaft synchronizer (which drives the oil pump) it bolts to with genuine ford motorcraft parts after checking its wiring and elec.conn. There are tutorials all over the forum. Click on the search feature or topic finder at the top of this page. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you get to the cmp. There is a bunch of cables over it and I would prefer to disturb as little as possible. This is an OHV motor, not an OHC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts