Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The automatic headlights on my 2004 Taurus stopped working. The parking lights come on but not the headlights. They come on when I manually switch them on. Any ideas what the problem could be?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine did the same thing years ago....do a search... I forget the acronym, but it seems to be common.

WOW! Great Response..

Iluvcats,

The issue is with the SJB. It is the brain of the computer, with the autolamp it has two relays one for the parking lamps and one for the headlamps. From time to time the headlamps relays go bad from use (these are not repairable). There is a possibility that the wire that runs from the SJB to the lights is bad but that is highly unlikely. I would imagine that the headlamp part of the SJBis bad. They only way to fix it is to replace the entire SJB. Getting this from a dealer is an arm and a leg, if you do feel so inclined you can pull one from the junk yard.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
If the headlights turn on when you turn them on then I would look towards a sunload sensor...

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
If the headlights turn on when you turn them on then I would look towards a sunload sensor...
In 2000 - 2003 model years, it used to be the non serviceable autolamp relays in the Central Junction Box, now the Smart Junction box. . You can test it by putting an ohmmeter on the sun load sensor and vary the light.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Premium App

·
Premium Member
2005 Ford Taurus SEL
2,754 Posts
I'm hoping to instantly automatic headlights in my 06 Taurus, might anyone know if this would be possible and if so what may I need???

Yep, it is fairly easy. I did it on my 2006. Just the defroster grille with the sensor, the headlight switch with Autolamps function, and some wire with the pins to add to the SJB.

·
Registered
186 Posts
In 2000 - 2003 model years, it used to be the non serviceable autolamp relays in the Central Junction Box, now the Smart Junction box. . You can test it by putting an ohmmeter on the sun load sensor and vary the light.
I'm having a similar problem with my '02 SEL's automatic headlights.

Only the parking lights come on when I select Auto.

Only the parking lights come on when I unlock the car with the remote.

With the parking lights on in the Auto position, a really bright LED flashlight doesn't turn them off. I'll try again in the day, in direct sunlight, to confirm.

In the above scenarios all other lights function properly.

When turning on the headlights manually, all work as expected.

Where do I find the leads/connections for the sun load sensor? Where is the SJB located?

Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for the info Sheila.

An update on the symptoms

With the parking lights on in the Auto position, a really bright LED flashlight doesn't turn them off. I'll try again in the day, in direct sunlight, to confirm.

In bright sunlight with the switch in the Auto position, no lights come on. In the garage, the parking lights turn on. So I think I can rule out the sun load sensor.

·
Registered
11,500 Posts
Thanks for the info Sheila.

An update on the symptoms

In bright sunlight with the switch in the Auto position, no lights come on. In the garage, the parking lights turn on. So I think I can rule out the sun load sensor.
Agree on "sun load", but it not the correct name, is is the autolamp sensor. Sun load is separate sensor, clear circle.
But having had autolamp sensor fail on 2 cars, and getting 2 from JY and one worked, the lights stay on all the time the auto is selected. Hard to find at the JY as others seem to beat me to them.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Also, if you have EATC, run the self-test (can be found using the search function/topic finder.) A code '51' might show if your sensor is not working. Directly related to auto-lamp problems AND A/C temp problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.