Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a '97 Taurus GL, 70,000 miles, and have had nothing but good luck with it. A few days ago, I noticed the autolock wouldn't lock the doors when the car is put into gear. I also noticed the same day, that the cruise-control is not working at all. A third thing I found just today, is that I can go from park into reverse or drive, without putting my foot on the brake pedal at all. I'm thinking that these things going screwy would have to be tied into the brakes some way--- The locks wouldn't lock if the brake pedal was pressed, the cruise wouldn't work if the brake was engaged, and the trans would shift from park if it thought the brake pedal was pressed (even though it's not). Am I on the right track? Is there a way of tracking this down? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Are your brake lights constantly on? If so, your BOO switch is faulty and needs replacement.

BOO - Brake On/ Off. Not BOO like halloween BOO. :D

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I have a 97 Taurus, and your autolock should come on a couple seconds after you turn on the car with the doors closed. If any door is open, it will not lock. Alos when you turn off the car, they should all unlock. The transmission will be in Park. As far as the brake and shift thing, I am at a loss. Try doing a search in the forum and see what you can find out.

Best of Luck

Adam

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Can you change autolock to lock when you put the transmission in gear? or does it only come on when you turn on the ignition.?

Adam

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by 97vulcan@Jun 13 2004, 01:14 PM
As far as the brake and shift thing, I am at a loss. Try doing a search in the forum and see what you can find out.
Or he could just search the post directly above yours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AH-HA! Think we might be on to something here--- I checked my brake lights, and they DO NOT come on at all when the pedal is pressed. I checked all fuses, and all are good. Don't know what to do next, but I think we're on to something here. Thanks, & please keep the ideas coming-- I sure appreciate it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The only idea you need is the first one posted (by Racer X).

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
eCar, I have no idea why his brakes are not working right. I am sure he can read the post above mine. I was merely suggesting that if this is not the solution to his problem he could find further help with the search menu. No need to be a smart a** about it.

Thanks

Adam

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
is a brake swich problem...all thoes simptoms are relavant to the brake swich being jamed on. Remember, there are two of them, is not gonna be the BOBO, is the other one used as a "redundant" swich.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by 97vulcan@Jun 13 2004, 05:18 PM
eCar, I have no idea why his brakes are not working right. I am sure he can read the post above mine. I was merely suggesting that if this is not the solution to his problem he could find further help with the search menu. No need to be a smart a** about it.

Thanks

Adam
Sorry. I was born that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts