Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link to AutoZone.com their repair page..you can search my all things, year/make/model and it gets DAMN in depth on repair info..we have used it a TON on all kinds of cars, domestic and import. Link is saved on our laptop so I can take it to whatever car I need (wireless connection) and let me say..it is a HUGE time saver if you do your own work!! :banana: :chili: :banana: :chili: :banana: :chili:

http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?...repair_info.jsp

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW..choose "Vehicle Repair Guide" to take you to the page that lets you choose year/make/model and even lets you save 3 autos so you can just go right to your car. Im tellin ya..this is a time saver from heck (also great when you are doing something on a car once and dont want to buy a manual.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I noticed that the guide for the Taurus is practically copied right off Chilton's Car Care Taurus 96-99 manual....

Dunno if it was ok for them to do that?...... <_<

·
Registered
11 Posts
Chilton is filled with mistakes. I would double check all info that was found in a Chilton. I am the knew owner of a 97 GL wagon, had the car less than a month and have already found a mistake in the manual. According to the manual the O2 sensor is located in the intake hose across form the Intake Air Temperature sensor. We all know that the O2 sensor is in the exhaust. How could such a mistake be printed.

One of the other cars I have used chilton as a reference for was an Mercedes. Chilton said that the fuel pump had its own filter and to remove it you had to remove a screw on top of the pump. As it turned out the screw was an adjustment screw. It was used to adjust the amount of diesel being injected. The only way to get it to factory settings after I messed with it was to take it to a dealer. They have to remove it from the car and use a some kind of machine to calibrate it. As it turns out the filter never was there at all. The pump uses engine oil, therefore the filter is the oil filter.

I will never trust chilton again. I thought that the Mercedes mistake was because the car is foriegn and diesel. However after the mess up I found in the manual for the Taurus I have decided that they are only out to make money and do not care about the consumer. DO NOT use Chilton as your only reference. If you have to go to the library and find the tech manual for your car. That is how I found out why the Mercedes would not accelerate after I moved the screw on the injection pump.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by Dgrouchy66@Mar 18 2005, 10:58 PM
Chilton is filled with mistakes. I would double check all info that was found in a Chilton. I am the knew owner of a 97 GL wagon, had the car less than a month and have already found a mistake in the manual. According to the manual the O2 sensor is located in the intake hose across form the Intake Air Temperature sensor. We all know that the O2 sensor is in the exhaust. How could such a mistake be printed.

One of the other cars I have used chilton as a reference for was an Mercedes. Chilton said that the fuel pump had its own filter and to remove it you had to remove a screw on top of the pump. As it turned out the screw was an adjustment screw. It was used to adjust the amount of diesel being injected. The only way to get it to factory settings after I messed with it was to take it to a dealer. They have to remove it from the car and use a some kind of machine to calibrate it. As it turns out the filter never was there at all. The pump uses engine oil, therefore the filter is the oil filter.

I will never trust chilton again. I thought that the Mercedes mistake was because the car is foriegn and diesel. However after the mess up I found in the manual for the Taurus I have decided that they are only out to make money and do not care about the consumer. DO NOT use Chilton as your only reference. If you have to go to the library and find the tech manual for your car. That is how I found out why the Mercedes would not accelerate after I moved the screw on the injection pump.
its called human error, it happens. If you think chiltons are bad, oem service manuals are filled with tons of mistakes too. especially the wiring diagrams. not much you can do about it.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Glad somebody is, actually looking at the pinned topics... :banana:

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
This is a good page and is helpful for even fixing my hubby's van. Thanks!

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Please refrain from reviving dead posts. Especially ones that haven't been commented on in over 8 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.