Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Taurus Wagon, Vulcan. I figure I'll do a tranny fluid flush on the "new" wagon, as it has been sitting a while. I just wanted to confirm some info before I take the plunge.

I believe it is a 4X4N (it has 19 bolts on the pan) and that it should use Dexron III/ Mercon fluid. Correct? Or is there an update to better fluid?

Thanks.........

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
AX4N/19 bolt pan, that uses Mercon V fluid :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BG, I read that in some posts. However the encyclopedia entry says "Dexron III/Mercon ATF (1994-1998) /Mercon V (1998+)" and I just wanted a second opinion.

As I doubt all the fluid will come out, I imagine the Mercon V is compatible with the earlier version. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
A couple years ago Ford decided that Mercon V was okay to use in older transmissions after all. Can't say that it'll mix with older Mercon or not, but if you're doing a full flush almost all of it should come out.

Dexron III/Mercon is still available as "GM-Ford ATF", they just can't call it Dexron III/Mercon anymore.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
A couple years ago Ford decided that Mercon V was okay to use in older transmissions after all. Can't say that it'll mix with older Mercon or not, but if you're doing a full flush almost all of it should come out.
[/b]
Crud, I never thought of that. I just remember that TSB Ford issued about the 4N and other transmissions that used Mercon previously.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts