Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to do it but i have never done one before so i dont know what parts i am going to need. if someone could help out that'd be awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Ok, here is my input. Firstly, the computer expects to control an Automatic transmission, so you may want to either swap the computer off a manual trans car, or get a tuner so you can tell the computer to ignore the state of any solenoids, and so that it won't trigger gear ratio codes.

As far as the swap itself, I don't think you'll have any major issues. You should get the entire donor car if you can, if not, make sure you pull the entire engine and trans and any linkage, as well as the pedals, master cylinder, and computer, and any associated wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
It's been done. I'm sure there are at least 2 posts that will link you to a full build thread.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Look for topics and posts by "Mr. Pants". He did a 5-speed swap on his 96 vulcan. SHO trans, tempo clutch and flywheel. Various other parts.

It's on my to-do list.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
There was a kid with Something ,something American in his name.
He was in Oklahoma city and did it to a genII vulcan.

Mike
B)

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
There was a kid with Something ,something American in his name.
He was in Oklahoma city and did it to a genII vulcan.

Mike
B)
The jackshaft was the problem with this guy. Another is the trans mount is different from the manual to auto. Mr Pants had problems with engine roll in reverse, he finally got it fixed last I remember. I met Mr pants a couple times, good guy. He's not been around in a while. Also, look under the dash where the clutch would go, it might change your mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts