Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yes, I realize that, it says it right on the back of the bottle. I'm not putting down synthetics, its all Ill put in the crankcase. I just read it somewhere specifically about these transmissions that the full syn is bad. I'm not saying I believe that, I tried to look up more info about it and found arguments with people who swear they know more than the other person swearing that everyone is wrong and saying both bad and good and up and down and full synthetic and mercon shut the front door. All I'm saying is it may be a waste of money to use full syn to completely flush the trans. May be. May be harmful according to some. May be benificial according to others.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When I flushed my tranny I used NAPA Mercon V. It's a synthetic blend made by Valvoline. Exactly the same thing as Valvoline Mercon V, except you pay $3:50 for Napa, vs $5 plus for Valvoline.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I would flush it using the sticky method. That old fluid is not going to do any favors, and leaving it in there will guarantee a trans failure. Just don't flush it with a machine, let your transmission flush itself instead.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Changing the filter is very important in my opinion. I would hope the reason's why are obvious to everyone.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Drop the tranny oil pan, replace the filter (name brand only), clean the magnet, and use a name brand quality transmission fluid, regardless of whether you go synthetic or not.

Takes about 7-8 quarts to replace what you lose in a pan drop. Repeat in 10-15K miles.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I used to do the fluid exchange with a pan filter change on my 00 chestnut SES every 30K.

Now I pull the drain plug, add a new spin on filter and 7 quarts every 15K.
I did drop the pan to check everything after I had been doing it for about 60K. I went ahead and changed the pan filter out but didn't need to.The spin on filter caught everything. I also have a filter mag on the spin on filter.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for all the input

Really appreciated all the good feedback here. So I decided to drop the tranny pan and change the fluid, about 8 qts. Also, the tranny filter. The gasket was reusable. Boy was it black and the magnet had a lot of gunk, etc. Have put about 200 or so miles on since then and it shifts fine.

I used the Valvoline high mileage tranny fluid which is a synthetic with extra additives for trannies over 75k miles on them. Next spring I will probably do this again, depending on the color of the fluid.

This forum is very helpful.;)

Tim

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I used the Valvoline high mileage tranny fluid which is a synthetic with extra additives for trannies over 75k miles on them. Next spring I will probably do this again, depending on the color of the fluid.
I would pass on the high mileage fluid next time. The 'seal conditioners' in it destroy the rubber seals over time. Use regular or synthetic Mercon V next time.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Go with "2000sable" and "skrilla412" and just do the regular drop the pan, clean the magnet, replace the filter, wipe the pan out and button her up. Use a full synthetic transmission fluid, then do it again at about 15,000 to remove any gunk that got dissolved. Half synthetic will not clean the transmission to fast and you will see what comes out on the second change. If it is fairly clean you can then increase the interval to the regular 30,000 mile change interval. Easy - no problem and much cheaper than a transmission rebuild! If the high price of the synthetic transmission fluid is bothering you try the Amalie or Wolf's Head site for their extended service full synthetic transmission fluid.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts