Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 98 Sable and the original owners took good care of the car, but never had the transmission fluid or filter changed. The car shifts fine and no issues, but the fluid definitely is off color and appears somewhat darker.

I had heard that on older transmissions it is sometimes best to leave well enough alone as the particles that are in the fluid help to provide good shifting and new fluid sometimes leads to slipping with the tranny.

Not sure with a Ford product, should I just go ahead and change the fluid and filter and hope for the best?

Tim

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If you're going to perform the flush, read up on the TCCA recommended flush at the top of the page. It's kind of a hit/miss what will happen. I changed mine fully for the first time @ 117K Nov 08, and i'm at 141K now.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I would do the flush yourself. The problem is, most people bring them to places that do 'power flushes' and this is the kind of thing that will ruin the transmission.

Ask yourself this question, if you received the car with 50K on it and the oil had never been replaced, would you do an oil change/filter change?

The answer is most definitely going to be yes. Transmission Fluid is the same thing, just with a longer service interval.

Go ahead and buy and install a Transmission Oil cooler as well (secondary to whatever you have) and do the flush when you install. It's really not that hard to do as I and a mechanic friend did it all in a few hours.

·
Registered
101 Posts
DO NOT FLUSH YOUR TRANNY!! I repeat, DO NOT FLUSH YOUR TRANNY!

If I were in your position, id just drop the pan and change the fluid with no flush - it wont replace all the fluid but it will get most of it and just get a new filter and plug it back up and fill her up with synthetic tranny fluid.

NEVER DO A FLUSH - JUST DRAIN AND REFILL.

·
Registered
248 Posts
QUOTE (Skrilla @ May 26 2010, 11:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806993

If I were in your position, id just drop the pan and change the fluid with no flush - it wont replace all the fluid but it will get most of it and just get a new filter and plug it back up and fill her up with synthetic tranny fluid.

NEVER DO A FLUSH - JUST DRAIN AND REFILL.[/b]
A home flush is OK. What's bad is the power flush method most shops use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I second adding a aux cooler. I added one last summer to my '98 and it was relatively simple following the advice on the forum.

·
Registered
955 Posts
QUOTE (Skrilla @ May 26 2010, 10:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806993

Skrilla, what are you SHREAKING about here?

I said doing a flush yourself (aka 'a home flush') will be okay. Taking it to a stealership or other 'fly-by-night' place for a power flush was NOT good.

You are essentially telling this person to change 1/3 of the fluid but not the rest? That just doesn't make any sense. If you are afraid of deposits coming loose and roaming around the gear box hurting things, this will more than likely happen when you introduce NEW oil into the system.

A home flush and trans cooler will be good.

And btw, unless Skrilla is a FORD engineer, the 'never flush your transmission' is not recommended by Ford. A service interval of 30,000 miles is recommeded from day 1 of the car's life.

Just a little bit more information for you to use your judgment on.

Power flushes is a procedure where a machine is hooked up to the inlet and outlet hoses of your transmission. New fluid is forced (key word) through the system to get the old fluid out. The problem is that your transmission has a converter and it's own pump. Just as any other pump (sub-pumps, fuel pumps, etc) forcing water or fluid through them WITHOUT them running hurts them. Think about all the pumps you have ever used.

Home flushes (as per the Wiki and Topic Finder) specifically tell the user to turn the car on and use the transmission pump to remove the fluid. Basically after the old fluid comes out (and you know this by watching the hoses pump less and less Transmission fluid out) you suck in a few more quarts of clean stuff to get all the old stuff out. This will ensure that everything in the case is brand new.

So, the question you may have is, if the Power Flush is so bad, why do mechanical shops still use it. Well, that comes down to our work habits as a society. Why do something by hand if a machine can do it. Theoretically, if you maintain the 30,000 mile interval, build-ups and deposits should never be that bad for a power flush to ruin anything. The problem and most likely scenario is though, that maintenance hasn't been performed and deposits exists.

Take it for what it is worth, a TCCA forum suggestion.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ May 26 2010, 02:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807045
Pan drop and filter change. That's what I would do. Repeat at 15k then start 30k intervals.[/b]
Thats a good idea. I was about to do that on my 175k vulcan that the previous owner never changed the fluid. before i got time to the forward clutch died that or the forward clutch piston cracked. I should have changed the fluid the day i got it when i heard the previous owner never changed the fluid.

Ya def gotta tell us how it goes and how dirty the pan and magnet are. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Not sure about the mixing of synthetic with regular tranny fluid? Is there any advantage to this vs sticking with the OEM fluid? Longer service life, less wear, etc?

Thanks for all the answers so far, much appreciated.

Tim

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
QUOTE (TimOT @ May 26 2010, 08:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807115

Not sure about the mixing of synthetic with regular tranny fluid? Is there any advantage to this vs sticking with the OEM fluid? Longer service life, less wear, etc?

Thanks for all the answers so far, much appreciated.

Tim
[/b][/quote]
Full synthetic atf seems to improve shifting in these cars, but you can use any atf that is "Mercon V" compliant. Since I changed mine over to full synthetic at 30k, I noticed a improvement right away after that first change. Synthetic atf also withstands higher operating temps, and has more anti-shudder additives. You can mix dino and synthetic atf, as long as they're both Ford Mercon V compliant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is AMSOIL synth ATF good in Ford cars? Or do you think any other brand is better here for an older car?

Tim

·
Registered
833 Posts
There's no problem mixing synthetic and regular merc v, ever heard of synthetic blend? That's just what it means.

I've gotta chime in about this power flush conversation/argument. I've done countless amounts of flushes with the bg trans machine. Yes, it has its own pump. However, usually the transmission's pump has enough force to move the fluid through the machine without the external pump. I know this transmission(s) in the taurus/sable has the power. So if the pump in the machine is not used, then the front pump is doing all the work and it's doing the same thing that would happen if doing the at home method, except never running the transmission empty. The exception - time is money, the external pump is used almost every time no matter how the fluid is flowing to make the procedure take 9 minutes instead of 17. So if you can go somewhere to have it done and make for certain they don't use the external pump, then I say go for it. That is of course, if you don't want to diy and don't mind paying the money.

As far as the type of fluid goes. I've read bad things about using full synthetic in these transmissions. Something about too slippery or some crap like that. I've read good things about it too, like people here seem to think it's the balls. All I can tell you, mercon v, no matter what the bottle says or the company who made it, is a synthetic blend. So my opinion, don't waste your money doing the entire fluid exchange with full synthetic. Maybe 50/50 full/semi. That's what I would do, I just do pan drop anyway. Just did that last week (the pan drop and filter change). Another 5k or so I'll do it again, and install a drain plug. Then just change the pan fluid at every oil change. (90k miles)

·
Registered
437 Posts
:) My local service shops all do the "fluid exchange' method of tranny flush. It's all about economics--- a 'pan drop' method only replaces a third of your old fluid but you do get a new filter. However, I think that you should alternate the methods every 30,000 miles. Nowhere I have seen local shops use power flushing! From a shop's point of view you get a better security from exchange flushing and it's more profitable to them and simpler. A pan drop method is more labor and less benefit as the car gets older.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ May 27 2010, 12:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807217
As far as the type of fluid goes. I've read bad things about using full synthetic in these transmissions. Something about too slippery or some crap like that. I've read good things about it too, like people here seem to think it's the balls. All I can tell you, mercon v, no matter what the bottle says or the company who made it, is a synthetic blend. So my opinion, don't waste your money doing the entire fluid exchange with full synthetic. Maybe 50/50 full/semi. That's what I would do, I just do pan drop anyway. Just did that last week (the pan drop and filter change). Another 5k or so I'll do it again, and install a drain plug. Then just change the pan fluid at every oil change. (90k miles)[/b]
Now c'mon man, you know that's a load...

There are a number of people on here running full Synthetic with no issues what so ever :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm just saying I read something once about SOME CRAP about it being to slippery for the clutches. I realize noone here has had a problem with it, I just don't think it 's necessary. Of course, half the stupid **** we do to our cars isn't necessary!! Like I said, I'm using part the semisynthetics merc v with full syn royal purple...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ May 27 2010, 09:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807325
I'm just saying I read something once about SOME CRAP about it being to slippery for the clutches. I realize noone here has had a problem with it, I just don't think it 's necessary. Of course, half the stupid **** we do to our cars isn't necessary!! Like I said, I'm using part the semisynthetics merc v with full syn royal purple...[/b]
Some synthetic is better than none I guess :lol: Any way to help keep the temps down.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ May 27 2010, 08:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807325
I'm just saying I read something once about SOME CRAP about it being to slippery for the clutches. I realize noone here has had a problem with it, I just don't think it 's necessary. Of course, half the stupid **** we do to our cars isn't necessary!! Like I said, I'm using part the semisynthetics merc v with full syn royal purple...[/b]
Some CVT transmissions have problems with full synthetic fluids, becouse they require a thicker fluid type than our cars do.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts