Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok checked my transmission fluid level and it was at the bottom of the hatched section in my 1995 GL, I added some until it was midway on it with the engine warm and running.

Should I top it off to the top line of the stick or call it good for now?

·
Banned
323 Posts
I assume your car was on level ground.....the usual rule of thumb is that if the fluid level is on the hatch section, you're OK. If it gets low again, you might want to look underneath the car to see if anything is seeping out at the pan or if the rubber lines from the radiator and/or cooler are in need of replacing.

Always start with the easy to check things first. Half the time a problem is easily fixed very cheaply. It's when someone has something wrong that they aren't sure of and start throwing parts into it that it gets expensive, and usually those parts didn't need to be replaced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, on level ground with engine running, nice and warm too. I have seen no leaks from the tranny or oil so far. The color was good on the fluid too, just maybe a tad low when I checked.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
The difference between top and bottom is less than a quart. Since the trans oil capacity is 12-13 quarts (?), the difference is negligible, in my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts