Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the problem, I've got a 1999 Taurus SE.

When driving on the highway if I let off the gas, about a second or two later my RPM's drop sharply by 500 - 800 and you can feel the car slowing like a break is on.

The transmission is shifting just fine but I think I'm gonna change the fluid and filter for good measure anyways.

There was another thread I found on this forum from a couple years ago I think it was where a member had the same exact problem.

I just put in a new set of spark plugs and spark plug wires (though this problem has persisted for quite some time).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Normal Vehicle Operation

What's going on? The Fuel Cut-Off is engaging on coasting, shutting off the injectors and letting the engine freewheel and saving gas. As a side effect, the engine turns into an air pump and saps energy from the forward motion of the vehicle.

If you blip the throttle as this is happening, the RPMs should jump back up and the slowing sensation should stop, as any throttle input will stop the Fuel Cut-Off and return the engine to a power producing state.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Is it it in OD when you do this?

Mike
:dunno:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
As a side note, On your scangauge II if you so happen to have one, the instant MPG readout will read 9999 as this is happening.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (dark_fire @ May 29 2010, 05:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807702
Normal Vehicle Operation

What's going on? The Fuel Cut-Off is engaging on coasting, shutting off the injectors and letting the engine freewheel and saving gas. As a side effect, the engine turns into an air pump and saps energy from the forward motion of the vehicle.

If you blip the throttle as this is happening, the RPMs should jump back up and the slowing sensation should stop, as any throttle input will stop the Fuel Cut-Off and return the engine to a power producing state.[/b]
That's exactly what it seems to do. It's also accompanied by a slight jerk as the RPM's come back up.

QUOTE (mwt @ May 29 2010, 05:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807703
Is it it in OD when you do this?

Mike
:dunno:[/b]
Yes it is, but it also happens in drive.

QUOTE (dark_fire @ May 29 2010, 05:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807704
As a side note, On your scangauge II if you so happen to have one, the instant MPG readout will read 9999 as this is happening.[/b]
Don't have one of those :(

Is there anyway to disable that fuel cutoff?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts