Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
115 Posts
Could be a few things, torque converter is bad, to the fluid pick up filter is clogging up, if you change fluid (DO NOT FLUSH) make sure you clean the magnet in the pan. Make sure that you have the AX4N, it will have 19 bolts, the filter (make sure you take the plastic ring out of the tranny pick up tube) is the same in both tranny's (AX4N or AX4S), but it has a different 1) gasket and 2) different passenger trans-axle, the driver's side is the same on both tranny's. A place to start, then check the cable at the top of the tranny and the 2 sensors there, otherwise get another AX4N from a newer Taurus, Good Luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I haven't driven it since, haven't even started it. I only leave the property a couple of times a month.

Have to go out Friday and plan on stopping at a shop or two to see what they say. Hadn't thought about additives that claim to fix things. Maybe.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thoughts on additives?

I'll be venturing out tomorrow and can pick something up if it might be worth a try but without risk. It's one thing if it doesn't help, but I can't risk something doing harm.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't put any additives, ONLY the correct tranny fluid, AX4N tranny is Mercon-5 only, another helpful tip is tighten the torque mount, on the Vulcan motor it's just to the right of the passenger strut tower and it will reduce engine 'twist' which will help stop leaking at the bell housing. Good Luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thoughts on additives?

I'll be venturing out tomorrow and can pick something up if it might be worth a try but without risk. It's one thing if it doesn't help, but I can't risk something doing harm.
I think one additive occasionally recommended by OE's is Lubegard, but I am not sure if they carry it in stores.
I've used Lubegard and Lucas, and the transmission has been working for about 8 years now. I think with the Lucas transmission additive, you have to be conservative with how much you add, since it is so thick, so I did not add too much. You may also have to siphon a bit of fluid out if you add any in, but the issue does not seem to be something additives would help with.

FYI, you can check the following thread, seems like a similar issue, and you can check if there are any stored codes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ran fine this morning. No problems noted. Poster above got me to wondering about something though ,.. the broken motor mounts I posted about in another thread a while back, and whether they could be causing linkage issues that are making me think it's a trans issue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The torque mount stops the motor from twisting to much, if you have a motor mount problem, on start up, putting in gear, and hard acceleration, you would hear a clunking or banging sound. Keeping the torque mount tight will extend the life of the main motor mounts, stops the motor from twisting as much as usual and you can feel more torque on take off.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Found a shadetree guy that says he can change the motor mounts for cost plus about two hours labor each at $40/hr. He says he knows the right rear is bad and the right front seems questionable. Says the left motor/trans mounts seems OK.

But talking this all out, he tends to agree with the notion that the bad MM(s) could be responsible for what seems like a trans problem ... that they could tension the shifter cable and make it shift or slip.

Work is scheduled for next week, so I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You should have a total of 4 motor mounts, 1 on each side of the motor (below the exhaust manifolds), torque mount (top of the motor near one of the strut towers), and transmission mount (on the sub frame behind the driver's front tire), the only pain in the a** mount is the one by the firewall. Torque mount is the easiest then the mount on the radiator side of the motor, then the tranny mount, and the hardest one is the one by the firewall, in order. Good Luck

21 - 29 of 29 Posts