Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
new here and have read alot of posts and am possibly more lost than ever. i've a nintey nine taurus with irratic heat that has no apparent pattern of working or not working. i have researched this problem as far as i think i can, and believe that i must now act. the engine heats up to just below half way on the gauge, to be exact if you look at the temp gauge and speed-o-meter the needle points directly at twenty mph. the water hoses into heater core and bypass are too hot to hold for long, the outlet of heater core is not as hot with heat on and after driving. if allowed to run(warm up) in drive way all hoses get too hot to hold and heat works but when driving heat goes away and is replaced by warm air. i haven't flushed core but have pinched off by-pass hose and could feel the flow in the hose, by squeezing and slowly releasing. also i reacently bought the car and dealer said they replaced heater core. so free flow through the heater core is not yet the obvious problem. checked the blend door actuator and blend doors. actuator moves with no binding or odd noise, pulled out the foam in the plenum box on the driver side and looked in. both blend doors open and close. however behind the actuator there is metal rod or shaft that connects to the blend door shaft and goes diagonally down to the left(looking at actuator). this rod or shaft connects to something and i don't know what as this rod and spring and shield are missing and whatever they connect to appears to be broken off. what does this rod or shaft do? is it my problem or, as i've seen in pics and as it looks to me, is it a spring assist for the actuator? i've heard of a stratification door but don't know where it is or what opperates it. is there a way to test this or check it's opperation? the symptoms are the same in every mode of heat, none are apparently better or worse than another, def,vent, flr, ect... the air flow does change with the mode or possition dial. i've also read that these cars can have bad water pumps and not over heat, while having no heat in the passenger compartment. is that wrong? i don't know if it has a thermostat or if its good if it even has one but the lack of temp change at the temp gauge tells me it has one. i've never seen nor heard the electric fans running when not being told to do so by the a/c. and i almost run the vent permanently unless really hot out. a/c runs great. with high ambient temps engine shows no signs of running hot, as the temp gauge stays at about twenty mph mark. i would take the car back to the dealer but he and i are currently in a pissin match about this car and i might end up in court and/or being stuck with this car and could possibly need to fix it until i can afford to get something else. any help would be much appreciated. for i'm lost on this one and the local ford dealer wants sixty bucks to tell me that i'm missing parts, that i may or may not need. and i could still need to fix this. the full storie of this car is too long for this little box, but i'm sure i could tell more later or will have questions later. again thanks for any advice or suggestions on tests to try.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts