Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to assemble my new struts, and I am trying to figure out what washers are what. I dissassembled some old struts I had to use all of the rubber spring insulators and whatnot, along with the washers if I needed them.

The rear strut mounts came with the mounting bolts for the strut mounts, and two washers for each mount (four total).

New VS. Old

So those would go on top and on bottom of the rear strut mounts...top washer facing down, bottom washer facing up?

Then it comes to the front. I didn't find the cupped washers that go on top of the strut mount facing up. This is all I found...

I am quite sure the washers with the four holes go below the strut mount, but the two washers without the holes aren't cupped like the struts currently on my car.

I plan on using the struts currently on the 97' on my '98, so I can't disassemble them for parts, and I don't want to have to pull the struts off of the '98 for parts.

Since I don't seem to have the cupped washers for the top of the front struts, would I be able to pick them up at the parts store, or maybe ford for a reasonable price?

The front strut mounts just came with the mount, bearing, and the bolts to hold it to the car. No washers for up front.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Gentle suggestion -- you have a digital camera and you might want to think about using it during disassembly of a component.

Meanwhile, images from the 1998 Ford service manual don't seem to match what you have.

Front strut (and no, I don't know what "dished side up" means -- I would consider this as, rounded part up, as opposed to "a dish which is viewed when it's right side up," equivalent to the rounded part down:
[attachment=28952:98FrontStrut.jpg]

Rear strut:
[attachment=28953:98RearStrug.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant to take pictures of them as I took them apart, but of course I forgot to...and now I few weeks later when I have my new stuff I forget how they where together when I took the old struts apart.

I have a ford manual here, and was looking at it, but you can tell from those pictures it isn't a huge help.

I just assembled one of the rear struts, and I didn't even need a spring compressor! I just had to push down on the mount slightly to release some tension on the nut as I hand tightened it for now.

Is that normal with Eibachs? They are about 1.5" shorter then the weak stock ford springs (might explain why it should drop the car about 1.5") but I definitely needed a spring compressor to disassemble the stock strut assemblies.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I have seen and heard, the top washer for the front sits 'dish side up'...or it essentially looks like a small metal plate or bowl sitting on top of the strut mount....except I can't find them. Maybe the car had relatively flat washers installed by ford (from what I can tell all struts/springs where OEM ford on this car I took apart).

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
It is normal to not need a spring compressor to assemble the Eibachs. That's a problem really, because no one makes corrected struts that are shorter for the shorter springs. When the car is raised, wheels off the ground, the front strut bearings don't have any spring tension to keep them in place. They may separate and loose the ball bearings inside. This happened to me a couple times and it's a real headache. One of the reasons I finally sold my Eibachs and went back to stock ride height.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts