Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The university of Iowa is seeking people from Chicago to partake in a paid study, your car is to be outfitted with a box. It records driving habits and routes, so they can learn alternate ways to pay for road reconstruction, I.E. mileage tax. They will probably still tax gas the same.....

http://www.roaduserstudy.org/

I'll take a carburetor, points, and a generator anyday over a black box on any of my cars......

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
This is a typical demacrate big government load of crap. Just another way for crooked polotictions and the government to take away personal freedom by controling how and where you drive and to steal your money so you can spend it the way you want. I hope everybody wakes up and tells those idiots in washington we will not be taxed anymore and to stay out of our lives. A great quote i like is ' any person who gives up freedom for security will end up with niether freedom or security'. As a point of history we fought the revelutionary war for less taxes than we pay now, King George would look like a conservative compared to the current administration. This is OUR country and the goverment works for us. If people dont stop this rediculous spending in washington you will wake up one morning and find out we were bought by the chi-comms and forget your freedoms you will be slave to the debt our government got us into. Ok feel much better. Oh one more thing for the Obama voters i'll keep my guns and my freedom and you can keep the change. Thanks i hope this will spur a good debate and that people realise whats going on. Have a great day

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
This is a car enthusiast forum, and the OP is about a University of Iowa research study. Give the right-wing political rant a rest; way wrong venue, dude. But since you had to bring it up, who's been hanging around trying to take away your guns or freedom? It's no more difficult to buy the former than during the last eight years; I know, because I have. And exactly what freedoms have you personally lost since Jan. 20th? Don't like how our Government is being run by the Democrats? Stop whining about it and start preparing to run for Congress in 2010. Real democracy begins at home. And spurring a good debate? It's the same damn debate that's been going on for the last 9 months; you're just trying to provoke people by dredging it up here on TCCA. I've gotten so sick of the same neo-con talking points popping up on every other discussion forum; news-based or otherwise. I always really appreciated not having to put up with that crap on this site, but now my last bit of hope is done and gone. Go troll some other website where stirring the pot is actually welcome.

BTW, as an "Obama voter" and a patriotic American, I have my gun(s), my freedom, and (finally) some much-needed change. God bless the United States of America. :usa:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My point of the topic is any Chicagoans who would like to participate in this get like $800.

And it will be eventual on everything.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Yeah, it said $895 on the website. I think I'll sign up for this study. I can cetainly use the extra cash, and I have no paranoia that the gov't. is going to be following me around. My day-to-day life is pretty boring anyway; why not let "them" join in on the monotony?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
QUOTE (Brian_05_SEL @ Jul 17 2009, 12:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740182
BTW, as an "Obama voter" and a patriotic American, I have my gun(s), my freedom, and (finally) some much-needed change. God bless the United States of America. :usa:[/b]

:rofl:

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
:werd: Brian.

Our political poster has been on our site a whole 9 times!!

This is a car club IIRC!!

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (mwt @ Jul 17 2009, 05:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740231
QUOTE (Brian_05_SEL @ Jul 17 2009, 12:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740182
BTW, as an "Obama voter" and a patriotic American, I have my gun(s), my freedom, and (finally) some much-needed change. God bless the United States of America. :usa:[/b]

Mike

[/b][/quote]

:headscratch: So, to paraphrase a classic Bush-ism, does that post mean that you're with me or against me on this? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I appologise to bring polotics to this site, wont happen again. i did not mean nor say that any obama sopporter or voter was unpatriotic. and i have lost no personal freedom yet that doesnt mean they arent debating it in congress. but dont confuse my beliefs with my passion about cars. your free to do what you want, my reply was more on his comment about the taxes he refered to. so take it in stride. just dont refer to me by the typical leftist liberal name calling. i have nor have not instigated name calling. so GOD BLESS AMERICA and have a great day

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The jurisdiction in which fuel is purchased often is not the one in which travel actually takes place. Therefore, sometimes drivers do not pay for the construction and maintenance of the roads on which they drive.[/b]
Last I checked, I had to drive on a road to get to a gas station. I think that has to be, maybe, in the jurisdiction the gas station is located in? My gas tax pays for the roads around the gas station that I drove on to buy the gas.

I'm not a fan because it records where I am at any given moment, where I've been, how fast I'm going, and my travel habits (where I stop, where I eat, where I work, where I spend free time, where I hang out, where I go on vacation, etc). I know you could already investigate me and find any of that information, but I don't want it recorded or broadcast from my car in real time even if I don't have anything to hide. And you KNOW this would end up being used to issue traffic citations as well (and then how do I fight it if the system screws up? It'd be my word against the computer).

I kind of understand if it's somebody on parole or something like that, but it's kind of like the idea someone had to put breathalyzer-engine start interlocks on every car...it ends up inconveniencing and punishing people for wrongdoings they haven't committed...in this case, placing people under surveillance any time they get in a car.

If they really want to try taxing by the mile, then do it by the vehicle registration you have to send in every year with the car's mileage on it. (yeah, I know, that's another can of worms with "beyond mechanical limits" and broken odometers.)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
My bet is any Taurus after 2002 already has a black box....

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
After the 2000 MY, actually. It's part of the Personal Safety System, but the PSS control unit, or "black box", doesn't have the monitoring and recording functionality that you're probably assuming it does.

And Jim, now we're just playing the same old "what-if" game. It's a University experiment; any practical applications of the results therein are years away! In fact, the final data results aren't even going to be collected and presented as an academic publication until the end of 2010. Frankly, I'm pretty disappointed that there is so much negativity surrounding what amounts to a damn simple call for volunteers to participate in a Graduate student-conducted experiment. If you actually read the information on the website, this is an attempt (paid for by a no-strings research grant given to U. Iowa by the USDOT) to find a better solution to the current lack of funding for highway maintenance, which those of us in the Midwest know all too well is pretty damn crappy these days. I'm all for some new ideas, because the same old complaints and crap about paying too much for gas, too many taxes, etc. is BS when no one wants to accept change or give alternative methods or policies a chance- despite the fact that nothing gas tax-related has even been changed yet. I've signed up for this experiment already; just waiting on an answer back from the prof. overseeing the applicant review process. I can definitely use the money they're paying for taking the time to be involved with it, and I'm not afraid of the big, bad government using an out-of-state university to track me down and figure out what I'm doing. BTW, all that the onboard computer unit records is the mileage driven in a geographic area, namely northeastern Illinois. Not where, when, how fast, or any other piece of data you mentioned. We each have one of these kinds of devices already- its called an odometer. And there are no cameras or other instruments to record where you're traveling or stopping, what you're buying or eating, or where you're taking a vacay. Until that's been proven different, it's just bad speculation coupled with paranoia. Try to keep an open mind here; if I get accepted into this study, I'll be posting regular updates about it so everyone can feel less afraid of this hypothetical "automobile surveillance" by the government.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
QUOTE (Brian_05_SEL @ Jul 23 2009, 02:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741344
After the 2000 MY, actually. It's part of the Personal Safety System, but the PSS control unit, or "black box", doesn't have the monitoring and recording functionality that you're probably assuming it does.

And Jim, now we're just playing the same old "what-if" game. It's a University experiment; any practical applications of the results therein are years away! In fact, the final data results aren't even going to blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah[/u][/b] ......[/b]
TLDR

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
QUOTE (daveromanjr @ Jul 23 2009, 11:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741398
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jul 23 2009, 01:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741341
My bet is any Taurus after 2002 already has a black box....[/b]
:werd: I'd love to see what all they record...

I'm with Jim... the less people know needless stuff about me and what I do, the better...
[/b][/quote]
Amen, the government needs to know nothing except what i volenteer to give them. This argument that we need to change something thats worked for many years just so they can tax more is rediculous. Has anyone thought about tbe taxes collected for gas from people who only put that gas in thier mower, or that the taxes collected were misspent, were did the money go the taxes were paid so why are the roads so bad? Its not as though people arent driving, have you seen a reduction in rush hour traffic? I thought not so they have collected the taxes and just chose to not fix the roads. So more taxes is dumb, they should use what they have.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The do this in England to control the traffic flow. You pay more based on the time of day.

If you want expanded government services then you have to pay for them. Government is a growing industry and is 50% direct or indirectly employer of US citizens. But the larger it gets the more room for corruption.

Go to Will county Illinois to see how an inept government plans and maintains roads.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (daveromanjr @ Jul 23 2009, 10:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741397
QUOTE (Brian_05_SEL @ Jul 23 2009, 02:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741344

And Jim, now we're just playing the same old "what-if" game. It's a University experiment; any practical applications of the results therein are years away! In fact, the final data results aren't even going to blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah[/u][/b] ......[/b]
Too Long, Didn't Read?
[/b][/quote]

So why leave a response at all? Bumping post count, maybe? I'm actually surprised you didn't even attempt to refute what I wrote. Did anyone bother to read about this study before narrow-mindedly deriding it? This is not the new PATRIOT Act: Road Trip Edition. It's a research project done by Grad-school students. You probably had to do some kind of an assignment like this yourself in college.

QUOTE (daveromanjr @ Jul 23 2009, 10:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741398

I'm with Jim... the less people know needless stuff about me and what I do, the better...
[/b][/quote]

Easy solution there; bust out the PSS module in your '07 Lincoln and just find out what's recorded on it; it definitely has one of those installed. Afterwards, let us all know what you found out. Just don't make the post too long so as to exceed the attention span of us less than adept readers.

QUOTE (99taurus24v/se @ Jul 23 2009, 12:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741430
QUOTE (daveromanjr @ Jul 23 2009, 11:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741398

[/b][/quote]
Amen, the government needs to know nothing except what i volenteer to give them. This argument that we need to change something thats worked for many years just so they can tax more is rediculous. Has anyone thought about tbe taxes collected for gas from people who only put that gas in thier mower, or that the taxes collected were misspent, were did the money go the taxes were paid so why are the roads so bad? Its not as though people arent driving, have you seen a reduction in rush hour traffic? I thought not so they have collected the taxes and just chose to not fix the roads. So more taxes is dumb, they should use what they have.
[/b][/quote]

READ THE WEBSITE. Where did the money go? It didn't leave your pocket like it used to. The revenue from the gas tax is down because cars are more fuel-efficient than they were in the early 1970's when that tax was first enacted. That means that less money is being collected than thirty years ago because trips to the pump are less frequent, and therefore the money for road repairs doesn't stretch as far now as it used to. Would you rather "they" keep the gas tax but simply hike up the percentage that's being collected? That's what the alternative is- it is already in a new Transpo. bill, but pending further action by Congress until this DOT-sponsored study is finished. So by all means, keep whining about universities trying to find a better solution to big problems. The taxes you really don't want to pay more of will just be increased for lack of any alternative. Enjoy living in the status quo.

^I'll summarize so you don't have to spend so much nasty time and effort reading what's above; gas taxing isn't working right anymore, so a better planned road repair tax is needed instead of (not in addition to) the old outdated tax. If that still doesn't track with you by using some common sense, then there may not be much hope for you.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
In Illinois we not only pay a road tax on fuel but sale tax. Where does the sales tax money go? Not for the roads.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
QUOTE (daveromanjr @ Jul 23 2009, 03:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741450
QUOTE (Brian_05_SEL @ Jul 23 2009, 02:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741447
Random, useless gibberish[/b]
Up my post count? Are you serious? You seem to have that market cornered just fine all by yourself. I'm just tired of your condescending, high and mighty posts.

Oh no! People don't agree with you? Life goes on...
[/b][/quote]
Ill add this then im done explaining common sence to people who dont want to learn basic economics. Anytime you raise the price people buy less, did you buy as much gas when it was over $4/gal as you do now when its $2.30/gal so raising taxes will have less people buying wich means less taxes for roads. And as far as fuel mileage going up look at how many miles per year they drove in 1970 compared to every year since. People drive more every year therefor more gas bought more taxes collected. And im in agreence with the gentlemen with the lincoln grill on bottom of his page. Good luck getting them to learn basic truths.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts