Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something to consider:

The other day I was reading an article while I was getting an oil change and it talked about your regular car insurance and certain situations were you may not be covered.

In the article it talked about exclusions in all of the major auto insurer's policies have changed over the years. For instance, there is an exclusion that specifically denies coverage for "Racing" but it means runs at the drag strip. Many companies have now changed their wording to no coverage while participating in a "Timed Event" meaning drag racing and even track courses for example.

I'd hate to see one of you get hurt or damage your car while having fun at an event like a road course only to find out your insurance company denies your claim. You might want to look at your policy or talk to your agent if you have and ask them.

Just thought I'd throw this out there because I never thought about before unitl I read that article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/automobi...9INSURE.html?em

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
i've got Amica i'm covered anywhere. :lol2: :lol2:

i just found out the other day after 6 years with them, i have roadside with them.
i've been wasting 100 bucks on AAA. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Most insurance companies won't insure you at the track. I do track days with my 911 and I have no insurance while on the track. I looked into insurance (for the track) but it was going to cost $4K for 3 months of coverage and the deductable was $10K. I decided against it.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I don't think there's any insurance company that will insure you off-road in addition to your normal policy.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I thought this was always the case. I don't see anything wrong with it, as racing accidents are much more likely than car accidents. When you get car insurance, you insure it for the road, doing normal, safe driving, not driving that pushes the car to the limit off the streets.

And of course they are in business to make money, hence, why it is a "business" after all. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
It is also common for the track its self to have insurance, which you pay for in your entrance fee granted its not vehichle insurance, its bodily injury insurance but racing is a risk and if dont really have the proper means to fix the car you are racing it really shouldnt be racing in the first place.

so in conclusion :p

you are physically insured but not your car

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Most insurance companies won't insure you at the track. I do track days with my 911 and I have no insurance while on the track. I looked into insurance (for the track) but it was going to cost $4K for 3 months of coverage and the deductable was $10K. I decided against it.
[/b]
I guess it depends on how much you race your car at the track. If you were going every other day, 14K compared to 80-120K for a new 911 if you wreck would be worth it.

If you go once a month or twice a year even, probably not.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
That's why I drive a 11 year old Taurus on the track..... :thumb:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
There are insurance companies that will sell you track day insurance. From what I've seen, it's not too terribly expensive, like $100 for a weekend, which is a hell of a lot better than $30k for a new Mustang, or $90K for a 911.

JR

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
There are insurance companies that will sell you track day insurance. From what I've seen, it's not too terribly expensive, like $100 for a weekend, which is a hell of a lot better than $30k for a new Mustang, or $90K for a 911.

JR
[/b]

Do you know which insurance companies offer this JR? $100 for a weekend would be a no brainer. Hell, I spend $300 per day on gas at the track!

You guys need to google a bit, this is something i got from Fordbastards.org

http://www.capcoverage.com/motorsports.html
[/b]

This what they offer:

We also provide ON-TRACK coverage for people (with fast cars) who take manufacturer-sponsored courses, putting their cars through the paces on real race tracks.[/b]
My track days are not manufacturer-sponsored! Thanks for the info though.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
main page clearly states on-track coverage for driver ed type events, which is what we as a club are usually classified as. If YOU aren't in such a category, then obviously you may need to look elsewhere.

That may be why TWS the track most of us down here in Tx frequent, sent us that link.

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

JR
[/b]

Do you know which insurance companies offer this JR? $100 for a weekend would be a no brainer. Hell, I spend $300 per day on gas at the track!

[/b][/quote]
:werd:

I'd like to know about this as well. I spent a substantial amount of time searching for something like that and couldn't find it. I'm very interested!

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
JR - any luck finding that info? I am very, very interested! Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts