Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
02 Taurus SEL. 3.0 DOHC. 134,000 miles

The car has needed work for awhile now (various clunks and clangs coming from the front end), but recently I noticed there was a lot of vibration in the car when the engine is idling and in drive. Check engine light also came on.

The shop I took it to had this diagnosis:

• 1 Engine mount (rear?)
  • 1 Transmission mount, rear
  • 1 ignition coil (cyl #2 I think, behind the intake manifold)
$633 for the two mounts and $360 for the coil. He said he could take off 10%, so it'll be $900 or less. Are these prices fair? This is for the Houston area...

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
02 Taurus SEL. 3.0 DOHC. 134,000 miles

The car has needed work for awhile now (various clunks and clangs coming from the front end), but recently I noticed there was a lot of vibration in the car when the engine is idling and in drive. Check engine light also came on.

The shop I took it to had this diagnosis:

• 1 Engine mount (rear?)
  • 1 Transmission mount, rear
  • 1 ignition coil (cyl #2 I think, behind the intake manifold)
$633 for the two mounts and $360 for the coil. He said he could take off 10%, so it'll be $900 or less. Are these prices fair? This is for the Houston area...
$360 for one coil? What exactly is the labour costing you? You need to separate the two things and figure it out from there. Personally, I don't think it should cost almost $400 to do 1 coil. The mounts seem a little steep too, but it might be that this engine is hard to work on? I'll look up the labour time for you later when I'm on my other computer, if someone else doesn't.

I would shop around. Get a written quote and take it to a few shops, I bet the first thing they say is "we can beat it!".

To buy all those parts on rockauto, you're looking at somewhere around $110 plus shipping, that is probably very close to what he'd pay for the parts from his supplier. Unless it takes 6 to 8 hours in labour, I'd tell him to bugger off.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Motor mount price seems high and I'm sure the coil price is high. Removing the upper intake doesn't take long at all. Was that at a Ford dealer?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This was at an independent mechanic. I'd hate to hear how much a stealership would charge for the same job.

Edit:
Dealer wants $684 for the mounts, $534 for the coil. Wow, insane.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Its insane! I wonder if you even need those parts replaced. The scams are incredible. Nowhere is immune from this outright fraud. In my locality no shop can be trusted. I find that Ford Stealerships are not fraudulent but they charge the outright maximum for any work or part. When a Stealership does the work they have to answer to Fomoco. They charge so much that they don't need to scam you. Everywhere else is based on some sort of trust and previous experiences with that shop. I'm 61 yrs old and never yet found an honest shop!

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Its insane! I wonder if you even need those parts replaced. The scams are incredible. Nowhere is immune from this outright fraud. In my locality no shop can be trusted. I find that Ford Stealerships are not fraudulent but they charge the outright maximum for any work or part. When a Stealership does the work they have to answer to Fomoco. They charge so much that they don't need to scam you. Everywhere else is based on some sort of trust and previous experiences with that shop. I'm 61 yrs old and never yet found an honest shop!
One of the local rip off shops around here recently charged someone I know $400 to change a P/S fluid reservoir on his car, I didn't say anything to him about it. I tell everyone I know to stay away from the place.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
If you were anywhere near Denver, I'd do it all for 250-300+parts. Mounts are a bitch, coil is easy

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Its insane! I wonder if you even need those parts replaced. The scams are incredible. Nowhere is immune from this outright fraud. In my locality no shop can be trusted
I wouldn't call them scammers or fraudulent, that to me implies dishonesty. For example, not performing work at all. Overcharging for labor is bad, but as long as the worst-case scenario is given to the customer up front, he has the ability to refuse the job. With educated consumers, shops like this will simply have to lower their prices or fold.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If you ain't near Denver, I think you could handle doing the coil on your own...mounts I could see letting someone else do. For the coil, swap plug wires one by one, and remove the bolts and plug using security torx (You can buy these at Harbor Freight el cheapo).

The mount replacement isn't a fun job...what is the labor rate for this shop you found? If they are that bad, check out the mechanic files on CarTalk's website, as well as searching on Google maps for reviews of shops.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
It should be around 2.9 hours in labour, so if they charge $100+ an hour, you would spend $300 for that. I would phone the local auto part stores and see what the prices are for the parts. If you really think it needs it, I would consider just taking it to another mechanic. With parts & labour, $600 max. $450 to $500 is better. That's probably what he should be charging for the job.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
02 DOHC isnt COP, so replacing what they call "the coil" really means replacing the coil pack, which is VERY easy to do.... no UIM removal, etc needed. If the plugs and wires are original, I would replace those also along with the coil. Plug replacement is a bit of a PITA on the DOHC, but can be done at home taking your time with common tools.

As noted above, motor mounts are a PITA, but the price quoted is on the high (very high) side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts