Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2002 Taurus SE Station Wagon, I was thinking of modding it. I wanted to start cheap before I go onto more expensive mods. Are there any mods that would improve the hp of the car without ruining the transmission?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Nope. Even in these cars heyday there weren't many things to be done performance wise. Just accept it will be slow and move on to personalizing the interior or looks.

·
Registered
05 Taurus SE
12 Posts
Hello, I have a 2002 Taurus SE Station Wagon, I was thinking of modding it. I wanted to start cheap before I go onto more expensive mods. Are there any mods that would improve the hp of the car without ruining the transmission?
Cheap engine mods don't exist, but you could make it more fun to drive, like add sway bars, stiffer struts. Maybe better brakes? Some where in that time range they increased the rotor size to 11.7". Although sway bar parts for a wagon are harder to find. I just bought swaybars from Jegs (Addco) for my 05 SE. If you dig deep, you'll see posts on how to do from back in the day.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Cheap engine mods don't exist, but you could make it more fun to drive, like add sway bars, stiffer struts. Maybe better brakes? Some where in that time range they increased the rotor size to 11.7". Although sway bar parts for a wagon are harder to find. I just bought swaybars from Jegs (Addco) for my 05 SE. If you dig deep, you'll see posts on how to do from back in the day.
I think '00 was the last year for the smaller front rotors.
-chart-

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have some thoughts on that matter. Work on making the car as reliable as you can. In other words use a full synthetic motor oil and a good filter. Change the transmission fluid, new filter and clean the magnet and pan. Use Amalie full synthetic ATF - the good stuff (Royal Purple without the coloring). You cannot expect to get anything more than a fairly reliable car with a lot of features most cars did not have at that time.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
I have some thoughts on that matter. Work on making the car as reliable as you can. In other words use a full synthetic motor oil and a good filter. Change the transmission fluid, new filter and clean the magnet and pan. Use Amalie full synthetic ATF - the good stuff (Royal Purple without the coloring). You cannot expect to get anything more than a fairly reliable car with a lot of features most cars did not have at that time.
Condensed miles to maintenance. Pic of my existing '03 and my new '04. This list from '03 owner's guide. Then check the brakes, guide pins, pads and such.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea if the previous owner replaced the previous transmission fluid, would it still be good to replace it? The other thing, assuming the car can survive the fluid change, what would I need to drop and put the transmission back?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts