Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 (Sable actually) wagon and am looking to tighten up the handling via uprated sway bars. I've done some searching but haven't found a definitive answer (sorry if it is out there but I missed it) as to if the sedan and wagon sway bars interchange.

Do the fronts swap out?

How about rear bar on a wagon?

Is there a specific year / years that had thicker bars that I should be looking for at a salvage yard?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Fronts are the same, the rear's I believe are wagon only but don't take my word on that. The Gen1 wagon had a stiffer rear bar than the Gen4 IIRC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fronts are the same, the rear's I believe are wagon only but don't take my word on that. The Gen1 wagon had a stiffer rear bar than the Gen4 IIRC.
Good morning and thanks for the reply.

From Major on a prior thread

"I've got a 1988 wagon rear bar on my '99. It looks different on the ends but works fine (with a 24mm front bar). From the info I gathered with my mic a while back, the 1986 through 1991 has a 18mm bar. The 1992 through 1995 has a 15mm and 1996 through 1999 has a 13mm bar. I haven't mic'd a 4th gen yet. This was the best I could do because I didn't have every year of wagon to measure."

My 2002 Sable LS has an approximately 14mm bar at this point.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
My 2002 Sable LS has an approximately 14mm bar at this point.
Once you take the coating off of it, it's 13mm.

I almost had a 15mm rear bar. But, I was out of town and didn't have big enough tools to get two of the 4 bolts out. Plus, shipping it home would have been costly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you take the coating off of it, it's 13mm.

I almost had a 15mm rear bar. But, I was out of town and didn't have big enough tools to get two of the 4 bolts out. Plus, shipping it home would have been costly.
Ha, I'll have to clean it better next time. Thanks for the correction.

So I guess the hunt is on now...

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I'd like to get a set of the Addco front and rear bars. But, I don't want to have to go through the pain of replacing the front bar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Exocet
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing