Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Are Our Cars Popular?

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  impatient95 
#1 ·
Pictures speak volumes

To the left (not in the picture) there were 3, 3rd gen sables. To the right of this picture, were 2 late model taurus' and 2 late model sables.

Really cool sight!

See less See more
#2 ·
Not popular as in "I gotta have one before they're all gone" but there are a surprisingly huge number of them on the road. I've seen a lot in my small town. I just wish that there weren't so many senior citizens driving them.

#3 ·
They are moderately popular here, but not nearly as much as imports are.
Unfortunately in Canada if you don't drive an import you ain't nothin'. Those people suck though.

#4 ·
In Michigan, you can't go anywhere without seeing a Taurus/Sable around. The car owned Michigan for a lot of years. The Taurus is still popular with Ford execs for their lease cars (as a part of their compensation) and when they order them, they are LOADED! After that year is up, they are put up for sale.

We even have a lot of Gen2 and Gen1's still on the road but they are starting to look rusty. I saw a Gen1 LX with a broken axle on the side of I-96 going home. It was rusty, alone and without a license plate. hehe

#5 ·
I was surprised at the number of SHOs I saw in Michigan. I've seen like 3-4 around this whole city. in Michigan I saw one every 10 minutes.

G
#6 ·
Originally posted by Twilight@Feb 6 2004, 07:50 PM
I was surprised at the number of SHOs I saw in Michigan. I've seen like 3-4 around this whole city. in Michigan I saw one every 10 minutes.
WHA?!?! every 10 minsutes?!? Damn. Dont see many sho's here. I think it has been a week since I have seen my last sho.

Unfortunately in Canada if you don't drive an import you ain't nothin'. Those people suck though.[/b]
Admit it, you wish you suck!

Was that a pic of a meet or something? I find it hard to believe that 3 red taurus are parked next to eachother without some prior planning, unless this is a fleet parking lot and you are not telling us

#7 ·
Yeah, there are lots of SHOs around. All model years, the old ones seem to be holding up but they get more rare as time goes on. There used to be a lot of Thunderbird SCs around too, but those have been gone for a long time.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Twilight@Feb 6 2004, 10:50 PM
yeah there are, but everyone driving them ...and i'm serious... are old people. besides Greg and some other kid with a gen3 white SHO, everyone else has been old people.

#9 ·
Pretty weird timing but I was at a trade show in Oklahoma City yesterday and walked outside counted 7 GenIII and GenIV in a Hundred yard radius.

Of course mine was the fastest one setting there

#10 ·
Was that a pic of a meet or something? I find it hard to believe that 3 red taurus are parked next to eachother without some prior planning, unless this is a fleet parking lot and you are not telling us[/b]
Nope. I drove up and parked. I only saw the one next to me. Then I got out and saw the other one. I started looking around and saw the other taurus/sables. I said, I have to get a pic of this. It was neat tho. 3 Gen 3 red taurus' in a row.

Food Lion parking lot.

#11 ·
I see a lot of Gen III's and IV's, more IV's actually. I used to see the same maroon gen IV driving the other direction on my way to work. Now, after i've quit, I see the same car in other places, very creepy. I can always tell its the same one because of the windshield banner.

Oh and i've only seen one SHO here in central Florida and that was a Gen II last week.

#13 ·
If you people wanna see an absolute ton of all gen tauri come to metro detroit. I have a 45 minute drive to work each way and over the course of a week I started counting how many taurus/sables I see on one round trip. Now, my drive to work is at 7 pmand the ride home is at 7am, so I am not driving in much of rush hour, which would show higher numbers. The most in one day was 113, the least was 79. Now, none of these were parked and I was not going out of my way to find them. It's just what I noticed driving on the road.

Oh, and roughly 20% of them were SHO's, mostly Gen 3's and very few (3 to be exact) Gen 1's.

I've been on the 4 lane expressway rolling 4 tauruses lined up next to each other. It's kind of annoying, IMO.

The taurus/sable is easily the best selling car in Detroit, and I've heard that on the radio. They probably outsell the Camry/Accord combined.

#14 ·
Come on people, just drive by your local city hall or police station
There are sure to be at least 20 of the most stripped down Gen IV Lx's around. The top ranking officails get an SE around here. I was thinking this today, that why in the world do they pick the lesser horsepower engine for undercover police cars? Or is there something that we don't know about under their hoods?

BTW, Gen II SHO's are more popular than Gen III SHO's around South Florida.

Everytime I see a government official in a Taurus, I just feel more proud to be in mine.

G
#15 ·
I think it means something that the Government thinks Tauruses are good cars to use for their work, that has to speak for something.

There are probably 5-7 Gen 2 SHO's I see running around in a small area around where I live. I have spotted at least 6-8 Gen 3 SHO's. I only ever saw 1 Gen 1 SHO around here.

My area has a significant number of Gen 2's - TONS of Gen 3's and TONS of Gen 4's. It is IMPOSSIBLE to drive more than 2 minute down the road without seeing another Taurus.
I have a lot of flyers to pu on windshields. It's tough to decide whether or not to put one on a Taurus sometimes though.

#16 ·
I wouldn't call the Taurus "popular," but it is certainly affordable, new or used. My dad is going to retire at 62 in a month or two, so I guess I will buy him an used gen4 wagon later because he gave me a 95 GL back in the day. Taurus has like zero resale value, so I won't have a hard time finding an used one I can afford.

#17 ·
My family may be getting another one (in addition to my dad's 95 fleet car with 40k and a Vulcan). The new one is a baby blue with...ANOTHER DURATEC!!!

Yah, they're popular in my family. There are two vulcan Tauruses down the road, a 4th gen Vulcan Sable about 2 blocks away, and a red gen3 Duratec Sable across the street.

And that's just in my 4 block radius. Makes me smile

#19 ·
houston has a lot of Tauruses. TONS of G4's, but only one modded (me, as far as i have seen). I see other gens also, but the G4's seem to be running rampant, and I am already seeing multiple G4 1/2's ('04) running around already.

#20 ·
There are quite a few Tauri around here as well. I rarely see other Gen1's but lots of 2, 3 and 4. SHO's are rare, but I usually see someone with grey hair driving Gen3 SHO's. Mexicans drive Gen1 SHO's, and Gen2 SHO's are driven by the college students. My neighbor replaced her black Gen3 with a Gold Gen4 SAble, and then there's my bull.

With the odd occurances of mutlple Tauri. I remember coming to a stop light. I'm at the line, and a Gold Gen4 pulls up next to me, then a Gold Gen3 behind her and then a gold Gen2 behind me. I'm like "Wtf?" And then I wonder, do any of these ppl who drive Tauri and Sables, that aren't TCCA members even notice the mass numbers of these vehicles on the road, or is it just us?

#21 ·
Originally posted by Taurussetypes@Feb 9 2004, 05:30 AM
houston has a lot of Tauruses. TONS of G4's, but only one modded (me, as far as i have seen). I see other gens also, but the G4's seem to be running rampant, and I am already seeing multiple G4 1/2's ('04) running around already.
I second that, it seems like the G4 is the car to have down here in Houston. I have no idea why, but maybe it's because our city is so industrialized (thank you, fleet sales!)

I've also seen a bunch of MexiCorn gen2's running about (Mexican rice). It's kinda funny to see an old Taurus with mismatched body panels running around with a huge wing and a fart can that results from the oem muffler falling off
(don't be offended, it's just a joke)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.