Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was only 7 years old when my father brought home our family's first Taurus, it was a brand new dark brown 1990. I pretty much grew up in that car, and by the time I was 16 years old, it was still on the road with almost 300,000 miles on it.

It went through 2 transmissions, stalled at every red light, the brake pedal pretty much went all the way to the floor when stopping; that is, what little floor wasn't rusted away. All that stood between us and the road at that time was some carpeting.

But despite all it's problems, that Taurus was the most fun car I have ever driven in my entire life. It had a feel to it, and a soul that no car has ever been able to reproduce. And despite all of it's mechanical problems, it never left us stranded, and never even needed a tow in it's whole life.

When we finally got rid of it, it drove it's last 50 miles to the dealership lot to be traded in for a used 2 year old gen 3 Taurus. The gen 3's are nice and all (my family has had three of them so far!), but they just aren't the same.

That gen 1 was a great car, but I've seen only about one or two of them still on the road in the last decade.

Where I live in MA, road salt really does a number on cars around here, so I don't really see too many old cars alive in general.

But I've also searched on ebay and craigslist, and hardly ever see any gen 1's for sale.

If I were to come across a really good condition gen 1 today, I don't know if I would buy it or not, but I was just wondering how many of you out there still see gen 1's around? Do any of you still own them?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Likewise, I havn't seen any Gen1's for around 3 years. They tended to rust out fairly fast but very reliable. Maybe in Arizona you might find a nice Gen 1 without rust.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Buddy of mine has a 86 Vulcan. Rusted as heck (and I mean RUSTED), but keeps running and running. He bought it about 5 years ago for $5 becuase all the brake lines had rusted out and the TPS was bad.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I remember seeing most of them completely rusted out back in 95/96. There hasn't been many since the end of the 90s in my area. There's a guy around here who keeps one stored and you only see it in the warmer months, there's another one I saw really recently too. That's about it though. There was a 4 banger version in a junk yard I go to.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I loved my 1990 Gen 1. I bought it new in 1990. Kept it 14 years roughly 160,000 miles. It was getting ugly from rust spots and got slammed in the rear quarter by a hit and run. The interior vynyl (plastic) parts were cracking up from the heat from the sun. It never let me down, original tranny and engine ran flawlessly. Got through 3 radiators. Maybe there are no good ones left anywhere because the sun kills them too.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I have seen a few good ones end up in the junk yard because people prematurely gave up on them. (Probably never changed the transmission fluid.) If there was an R134a conversion kit and dealer parts available for them, I'm sure you would see more of them around.

I too feel like the older cars had more life to them. You could actually hear/feel the engine even at idle, which helped you to be "at one" with your ride. My wife's '01 Subaru Outback is so quiet sometimes when it is stopped that I have to check the tachometer to make sure it's still running. (More of a concern recently because it had been acting up.)

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I have seen a few good ones end up in the junk yard because people prematurely gave up on them. (Probably never changed the transmission fluid.) If there was an R134a conversion kit and dealer parts available for them, I'm sure you would see more of them around.

I too feel like the older cars had more life to them. You could actually hear/feel the engine even at idle, which helped you to be "at one" with your ride. My wife's '01 Subaru Outback is so quiet sometimes when it is stopped that I have to check the tachometer to make sure it's still running. (More of a concern recently because it had been acting up.)
If you ever need to recharge your R12 A/C, you could try retrofitting it to a propane/butane mixture like duracool. It'll work better than R-134a. Or even better, get some real R12 gas and use that. I don't like the idea of retrofitting R12 systems to R134a. Though, putting non normal gases in the A/C system might cause issues if you need it serviced by a shop in the future.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I see a Gen 1 1991 LX sedan every day. It's sitting in my driveway. My wife drives it every day. Still looks good, though some of the clearcoat is faded and sloughing off, and it still runs well. Drives and rides like a dream. Just passed CA smog again. Woohoo!!!

(What is this "rust" you speak of?)

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I see a Gen 1 1991 LX sedan every day. It's sitting in my driveway. My wife drives it every day. Still looks good, though some of the clearcoat is faded and sloughing off, and it still runs well. Drives and rides like a dream. Just passed CA smog again. Woohoo!!!

(What is this "rust" you speak of?)
Damn, that's clean.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I picked an 87 up for $100 back in September. It is pretty rare to even see them around here.

Only a couple patches of genuine rot (trunk arm area), right under weather stripping. Otherwise, just mild surface rust under paint sealer on door edges. Car has been in SC/GA and TX all it's life.

There are a couple guys in Atlanta with 89 SLOs (a GL 3.0 and an LX 3.8).

Here are some pics of mine: 87Taurus pictures by beachbum86 - Photobucket

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
From the Salt/Rust Belt capitol of America: What's a G1? (LOL!)

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I have a 90 Ford Taurus and it is still running. It only has 75K on original tranny and engine. The only thing i have had to replace was the water pump and Taurus of that age are known to blow out water pumps.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
I have a 1988 Taurus Wagon LX, converted to the only known early gen1 Showagon!
Drives like a champ, no rust that I can see. The interior is from the 90 SHO, and I wired a gen2 digital dash to it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Still driving my first Taurus, a 1987 GL Wagon, 3.0 Vulcan. I've had this car for (18) years and it still drives well. Over 250K on it. No rust holes, though some minor surface rust where the paint has worn off. The clear coat is peeling.

The OEM trans went 195k before a rebuild. The OEM A/C went to 230K before locking up. Have gone thru (2) heater cores (I HATE that job).

But the suspension and steering rack are worn out. I don't plan on getting rid or it. I'll use it on my property to haul yard tools and stuff.

Running-wise, the engine and trans are still good, seats and upholstry are good.

I still see quite a few Gen I's around here (Upcountry, S.C.). Some have been refurbished quite well.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts