Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The common fuel additives found in Auto Parts and Discount stores, are they effective? There are some pretty impressive claims listed on many of the bottles. Has there been any reliable independant testing done? Some store brands start at about $1.00 and the prices climbs from there.

·
Registered
23,349 Posts
Dunno. Ive heard for years that chevron techron, gumout regane and redline are good. As a rule, i dont use them unless theyre on sale and its been a while.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I use Techron concentrate plus in mine every 10k. It uses polyether amine as one of the main cleaning ingredients, only a few others do, and it's a very effective synthetic additive for cleaning. The rest are pretty much hype about cleaning/fuel mileage. I haven't had any fuel related issues with my car at all. My local Advance auto parts store had the smaller Techron Concentrate bottles on sale for $4 each, when I was there last week, so I bought 2 of them (treats up to 12 gals). Walmart also had Techron on sale for $5 each.

·
Registered
23,349 Posts
Techron would also be my pick of the lot, but imo, using a good top tier gas is the most important thing you can do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Worthless...except to line the pockets of the sellers. The only thing I ever add to the gas is Iso Dry gas in the spring and the fall. NEVER use the Meth. type.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Snake oil IMO. If your fuel quality is good and your injectors are clean, you don't need any more additives.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As I remember from my BMW days Techron is/was recommended by BMW and has been something I've used for some 20 odd years and have never had a fuel related issue. Techron or luck? Who knows, 5 dollars every 10,000 mile is cheap.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As I remember from my BMW days Techron is/was recommended by BMW and has been something I've used for some 20 odd years and have never had a fuel related issue. Techron or luck? Who knows, 5 dollars every 10,000 mile is cheap.
bmw's ehh? I had a 1994 e34 540i/6

·
Registered
8 Posts
+1 for Techron and Regane, and will add the Redline SL-1. These actually contain the PEA additive as most others on the shelf are just a kerosene/mineral spirits blend.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Answer to original post: NOPE. Hogwash and snake oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Supposebly" top-tier fuel has all the detergents needed. Nonetheless, I had a clogged injector on #1 that my mechanic cleaned manually. Cost to replace #1 $270, cost to replace all $570. Cost of trying some Red Line $13.45. I wouldn't add it otherwise but as a one-time extra-clean I thought it was worth a try.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've used them when the engine is running sluggish of idling ruff and they've cleared it up the problem. Maybe from bad tank of gas. I stick with Gum out or stp, and put it in a half tank instead of full tank, and do it for two three treatments and it clears up the ruff idle.

·
Registered
163 Posts
oh, and something that works real good is "Sea Foam." My son uses it on his motorcycles, I've used it on snowblowers and lawn mowers after they've sat a season, and it really works.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have heard good things about BG44K and Techron. Personally have used Techron at oil changes for many years. Had fuel injector fail on my 99 last summer but chalked that up to age and mileage(210K) and maybe the fact the car hasn't seen a lot of top tier gas in its tank. Agree that running a top tier fuel probably eliminates need for additives but Costco has 6 packs of Techron on sale often for $12 so it's worth it to me for that price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
StarTron is very good for vehicles that have run fuel with ethanol. Marvel Mystery Oil is good and as posted above SeaFoam is very good also.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My Taurus suffered greatly from a combination of non top tier fuel and short trips over several years. Poor fuel economy, shaking and noisy on the highway where it struggled to accelerate and was unable to exceed 70mph. I am not exaggerating.

The first bottle of PEA complete fuel system cleaner worked like a miracle. There was an initial improvement which was probably due to the injectors getting PEA that is six times more concentrated than the PEA level in PEA fuel injector cleaners. Fuel economy and performance improvements continued throughout the tank. Basically, the car was no longer shaking, was able to easily accelerate beyond 70mph, and mpg improved by several digits.

I ran another bottle and verified that there was no further improvement. For most people a single bottle of the complete system concentrate will do all that is possible. Increasing dosage does not help. Use a second bottle in the next tank if you find that the first bottle seems to be improving things towards the end of the last tank.

Having said that, I still had a strange scraping noise when the engine was revved closer to 3k rpm. I went to Walmart and had the $20 fuel injector service performed. It's a different chemical that's metered into the combustion chamber through a vacuum line. They also add a fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank at the end, but it was the metered combustion cleaner that I was after. Sure enough, this took care of the remaining noise.

I now run exclusively top tier gas and then run a PEA complete fuel system cleaner every year or two before an oil change. The cleaner improves things ever so slightly when used yearly and a little more when used every two years. The car still sees lots of short trips but we also make sure it sees longer ones as well. So the longer trips and / or the top tier gas are preventing a return of the previous problem that built up over several years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts