Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family has been well served by three older taurus' and one older Sable. That stated, does anyone have experience with the older Focus with auto trans?
Is there long term reliability with the Focus? What are things to look out for?
Besides timing belt replacement, are there issues that will need to be addressed at some point that are costly to repair?

I appreciate any information that can be provided.

John

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
We had a 2009 that was relatively problem free, although I don't see many on the road now. YMMV. It was a 'cheap' car to be sure--interior quality left a lot to be desired.

We have a 2016 right now with the DPS6. It's on the second clutch pack.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Cheaper cars have little profit margin, encouraging makers to cut costs where possible. I’d look at a Fusion or Milan over a Focus.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Cheaper cars have little profit margin, encouraging makers to cut costs where possible. I’d look at a Fusion or Milan over a Focus.
To that end I had a 2008 Fusion AWD as well. Owner number two smashed it to pieces, but when I had it, it wasn't a bad car whatsoever. I'd drive one again. I only traded it because I was never really in love with it.

·
Administrator
14,914 Posts
We have an '05 with just about 200k on it that purrs like a kitten and shifts as smooth as any econobox can with a body that has really held up. There are many mid 2000's still on the road here and we live in coastal New England, otherwise known as road salt heaven. Rear wheel bearings seem to be the most common complaint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've owned an '05 ZX5 SES and an '07 ZX3 SES with low and high miles respectively. For my tastes, they were a little small, a little weak -- turn the A/C off when you're getting on the highway -- but they always started right up on the first try, handled like go-karts in the twisties, and delivered 32+ mpg in mixed driving. If you're looking for reliability and gas mileage, it's a good pick (IMHO).
From 2005 on, Ford used a timing chain in the Focus instead of a belt, so that's one less worry.
If you have a bad back, DO NOT get a Gen 1 Focus with leather seats. They have almost no padding. My ZX5 had them and on a road trip I was in agony after 100 miles. If the ZX3 hadn't had cloth seats (much, much better), I'd have given it a pass.
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
inevershave
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing