Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting an abs light on and off. The code reader shows the right rear as causing the light.

Are the sensors hard to change? Any special tools or skills needed?

I was thinking of getting one from a junk yard or from a auto parts store.

Should I look for some other issue or is it usually the sensor itself?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would make sure it is bad first. You can plug a voltmeter into the sensor plug, spin the wheel and it will generate an AC voltage reading. Spin the opposite wheel and check it ois see if it is close. On my '97 the fronts read higher than the backs.

This can be done at the ABS plug too. May be the ring.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is this ring exactly?

What would I be looking for? Something bent, broken?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The ring is a toothed wheel attached to the halfshaft in the front, hub in the rear. It's what causes the ABS sensor to send out its signal. The rings are an interference fit only - the rings are heated up, slid onto the halfshafts, then cooled. Commonly, the ring breaks in one spot, and then loses the interference fit on the halfshaft and moves out of place. This will cause the ABS sensor to no longer send out a signal.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I will have to look at that also.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Goodluck trying to replace the rear sensor if it is bad. I have given up trying to remove a set for Godspunk from a donor car. There is one bolt holding the sensors on, but damn if I can get that thing off. Ofcourse I live in the Northeast so the type of weather conditions here tend to corrode the exterior of the car more.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I changed it out. I was lucky that the wheel side came out pretty easily. But I had a heck of a time figuring out how the electric connector came apart and getting it apart in the limited space.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
You already did it but for anyone else that is considering it.

A very large flat blade screwdriver will do the job.

First use it to push in the catch on the connector and pull the connector to unplug it

The sensor itself probably needs to be sprayed down with liquid wrench then use an inverted 6 point star socket.

Mike
:thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts