Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am haveing problems with arcing. I started with cheap autolites and old factory wires. I just did a head job on it. When I finished it was running ruff so in the dark it looks like a Christmas tree. Then I get new Autolite wires and bosh+2 plugs still looks like a Christmas tree at night. Years ago I had a Conture with the same problem and I thought I would never get it stopped. Any help to stop this would be awsome.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
If it's the wires that are arcing I would bring them back. The only other thing I can think of if you haven't already is apply dielectric grease to each end of the wires.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Use Motorcraft or Magnacore wires. Autolite does make the Motorcraft wires, but that does not mean that just any of the shelf set of Autolite brand wires is going to be as good as a genuine Motorcraft set. It is also important that the wires be routed through the proper guides and spacers. The wires should not touch each other, or if they do, they need to cross each other at right angles.

Not just any cheap set of spark plugs will do the job. You need either Autolite double platinum or Motorcraft of the proper heat range and gap. Many report good things with NGK, I have no experience with that. The Bosch plugs are a big no-no, lots of problems with them. Some say they work fine, but you will find a lot more people reporting problems with them than people who have success with them.

My personal car is running Autolite XP Iridium plugs and Magnacore wires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the dielectric grease I even reapplied it a second time. The arcing is comming from the boot across the plug too the head. I have cleaned the plug holes with a wire brush. It is doing the same thing with both old and new plugs and wires.?????????
thanks for the advice I will try more wires and plugs today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:angry:Well new motorcraft wires and autolite APP104's still arcing:angry: Coil is next??
Would a ground strap be causing this when I got the car the ground strap was just hanging losse at the back of the engine. When the heads went and I rebuilt the top end I hooked it back up. No codes just rough idle and surges at speed???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put on coil still arcing @##$%. Dinomite next!!!!!! I have been a ford man all my life But I think I'm done I own 5 fords and I think I will have 5 for sale signs in the yard MOPAR here I come.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If they are arcing in the plug wells either the plug has carbon tracking on the porcelain or the wire boots are bad.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Ok, look at this logically. Is there carbon down the plug wells? Is there anything there that the current can travel down that would make it easier to jump the boot than to jump the spark gap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New plugs!!! no carbon on them. I covered them in dielectric grease now it is arcing to the valve cover???? but it is only the front 3 #'s 4-5-6

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Definitely reattach the engine ground strap. You'll have all sorts of mystery problems until you do.

OK...you've tried different wire sets, different plugs, and you say you've cleaned the plug threads. i would get a stout set of test wires w/alligator clips and attach one to the hex on an arcing plug and the other end to a spot on the head. If it stops, then your plug threads are still dirty (coolant contamination from the head job?). If not, ground the other end to the negative battery terminal. If it stops then, then there's something up with the head's path to ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts