Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Apten Chip for about a year now, I love it. Only thing is that the chip sticks out the back of the EEC about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

I was wondering how other people that have the Apten chip have it installed.

So, post your Apten Chip install...

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Installed it just like they said to. I wrapped a piece of duct tape around the chip to keep it from moving around. I never noticed any hp gain, but the firmer shifts were nice. I was probably one of the few that installed it the way they said and had it run correctly from the 1st time I fired it up. The only thing they managed to mess up was the speed limiter, which didnt get removed.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I've had the chip switched off for a few months now. Quite frankly, it's only good for firm shifts, and it doesn't make any more power on the SHO. I think the problem is that Brian just based his programming off improving the SLO's stock program, so most of the timing and fuel tweaks he threw in there were redundant to the SHO's stock programming anyway. That and the fact that I have to take it out and clean it and mess with the contacts every few weeks are the reasons I don't use it any more. It has a tendency to do this hiccup and idle surge thing when I'm sitting in traffic every once in a while. :blink:

I never managed to get past 144mph with the chip, so I don't know if the speed limiter is gone or not. The one chance I had, the chip was switched off b/c of a damn CEL, so the car bounced off the 144mph limiter. I do like the 7200rpm 1-2 shift though. :)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I really didn't bother doing anything special with my Apten chip. Its just sitting there doing its job. When I took it out a few months ago to take it into the dealer, it was still clean.

As far as the programming, Alberto can reflash these. I have the American Motorsport program on my Apten and it works great! Maybe you guys can get a little more out of your SHOs if you send it to him. You guys got enough power as it is... I wouldn't think this would be the kind of mod you guys need.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I removed my Apten chip after a few months. I did not notice much if any power gain, but defintely firmer shifts. My #1 complaint was that when the chip was on, the car would not slow down when it coasted. If I was cruising along the highway and began going downhill, when I let off the gas the car would accelerate, rather than just maintain speed. I tested this several times on the same stretch of highway with the chip on and off. I eventually sold the chip.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by fordaspiregv@Jan 3 2005, 07:43 PM
I really didn't bother doing anything special with my Apten chip. Its just sitting there doing its job. When I took it out a few months ago to take it into the dealer, it was still clean.

As far as the programming, Alberto can reflash these. I have the American Motorsport program on my Apten and it works great! Maybe you guys can get a little more out of your SHOs if you send it to him. You guys got enough power as it is... I wouldn't think this would be the kind of mod you guys need.
When I decide to spend more money on EEC programming, that money will be paid to someone who owns and drives several SHOs. ;) The kind of guy that has done this to dozens of SHOs and gets rave reviews. And it won't be in the form of a chip, either. The 97 SHO PCMs are allergic to most chips.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I have been talking to mike glover at twEECer, and he has told me that there will be programming availible for the G3 SHO "by the end of the first quarter of 2005 at the latest". He also has told me that they will be testing an OBD-II code reader feature by the end of the summer. He said that it will be availible as a free update download. I just thought I would let you guys know.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
sixfo your refering to Ted B I persume right?

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Tman@Jan 4 2005, 09:49 PM
sixfo your refering to Ted B I persume right?
Ted B doesn't know much about the V8, although he was the master of the V6 at one time.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to Doug Lewis. A lot of the SHO guys have had good luck with Doug's stuff.

For reference, Alberto can reflash a PCM as well. He did mine on the 97 SLO, and I've been extremely satisfied with it.

Back to the original topic though.....

I removed my Apten chip with the three position switch, mainly because I got frustrated that it wouldn't work correctly after a few times of sending it back for reprogramming.

I ended up selling the chip, to fordaspiregv, who had it reburned by Alberto. From reading the above post, he's pretty happy with it.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Jan 4 2005, 09:55 PM
I ended up selling the chip, to fordaspiregv, who had it reburned by Alberto. From reading the above post, he's pretty happy with it.
So how much is the Diablo blank worth? I was thinking about throwing mine out b/c the new SCT platform seems to have made the Diablos obsolete. Or did you have one of the later SCT-based Apten chips?

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
I have the Apten sitting on the shelf. It only goes in when the FPS/SCT chip gets sent to Atlanta for programming.

Didn't have any problems with it other than the SLO programming it contained. Didn't fix my TC issues because of the 3.98 final drive gears though.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon+Jan 5 2005, 10:36 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SixFoFalcon @ Jan 5 2005, 10:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bob Gervais@Jan 4 2005, 09:55 PM
I ended up selling the chip, to fordaspiregv, who had it reburned by Alberto.  From reading the above post, he's pretty happy with it.
So how much is the Diablo blank worth? I was thinking about throwing mine out b/c the new SCT platform seems to have made the Diablos obsolete. Or did you have one of the later SCT-based Apten chips? [/b][/quote]
I had the original three position Diablo. I forget what it sold for, $50 Maybe?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Yeah, I bought it for $50. I sent the chip to Alberto, who charged me $250 (I think?) to reflash it. I really didn't save that much getting my Apten from Bob, but you might as well help out. :D

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Yeah, that's what I thought. The chip itself is cheap for the programmers to obtain, so they won't really knock off too much if you supply your own chip to them. Most of the time if you have problems with the chip itself, the programmers will just burn a new one free of charge. Just like with PC software, it's mostly the labor and intellectual properties of the programming for which you are really paying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts