Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, new too this site as of yesterday. I have a 95 windstar that has an axod-e metric(ax4s) trans and 3.8 split port engine. All foward gears seem to shift perfectly normal, but have no reverse. In reverse it feels just like neutral, the van has just over 200000 km. The fluid is not burnt and up to proper levels, hoping someone could shed some light on this problem.:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
Check to be sure the linkage is adjusted correctly. In other words be sure that when shifter is in reverse that shift lever on tranny is in the reverse detent. The problem is not electrical, as reverse is 100% mechanical.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking it was properly adjusted, only because it seems to go into park, neutral, and drive like normal. If all the other gears hit fine, I assumed reverse would. It is something I will check. Is there seperate linkages for each gear.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Only 1 linkage. Check to see if the reverse lights come on in reverse, and the range switch is secure. If so it is in the reverse position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The backup lights do come on and all connections look clean and tight. I guess I might be looking at a trans rebuild then???:lol2: I don't know if the vss could affect it at all, Also my cruise does not work, no ac, and the abs light comes on after a short drive.

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
Dont think vss is the culprit here. Besides, on the 3.8, y-pipe has to come down to r&r a $20 sensor. A little labor-intensive for a trouble-shooting shot in the dark. I would try to get it to a tranny shop for a free diagnosis. Best of luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Start the van, and within 2 seconds shift to reverse. If it starts to move, and stops, suggest reverse pickup tube is not properly held up (common). Replace filter, and reverse pickup tube clip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tried the quick reverse after start, but no change or difference from before. Still could this likely be the cause for no reverse. Also speedometer bounces around fluctuates and seems to be way high on speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I drop the pan is it hard to see the reverse pick up tube. Is just having no reverse, but all forward gears a common problem of the ax4s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts