Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Taurus GL
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 90 so it obviously runs on the r12. I just had to have a line replaced and it refilled. Now I told the shop to put in r12, but since I got it back, it doesn't blow air nearly as cold as it did before I had the line replaced (dry-rot). So I think what they did was convert it over to r134a and kept the remaining r12 in my system for them.

I been reading on the interwebs and all the articles I've read say "R12 systems don't cool nearly as efficient when converted over to r134a". I got quoted and it costed exactly the same either way, which again leads me to believe they went the "cheaper" route.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I suppose charge ports (both hi and lo) will be different. R134a is noticeably larger. If you have large ports, you have R134a. Compare your ports to your friend's.

I am not sure what you mean by "converted over to R134a and kept R12." Do you mean they converted to E134a and charged with R12? I doubt it. I just don't see how one can easily add R12 through R134a ports.

·
Registered
1990 Taurus GL
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I'm saying I told them to keep r12, but I'm expecting they converted to 134a to save themselves the r12. Especially since seriously 4 hours after I get it back......no more cold air. I guess the carbon filterbag in the pressure reducer (can on the firewall) burst and clogged the system. So I dunno if I'm being paranoid or what (especially since the new reducer has a 134a hookup on it)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Sorry for the misunderstanding. If you have R134 port, you have R134 in the system.

I hope you can get the AC up and running soon. I have no conversion experience.

·
Registered
1990 Taurus GL
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is up and running. Just not cooling as well as it did before I had it repaired and refilled. I used to be able to see the air coming from the vents. (In fact I used a thermometer one time and clocked it in a ~ 40F. Which is DAMN COLD!) I'll check the temp it comes out at now and compare.....it makes no sense! It had been refilled 10 years ago (compressor leak) with used R12 and it cooled better than now!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't honestly say about R12 systems, but on an R134 system, if you put too much refrigerant in, it doesn't cool as well and is bad for the system. You wouldn't think this is possible when you take it in to a shop, but it is a possibility. I doubt they converted it over to R134, but again who knows. Look at your service ports and compare them to ones they have at parts stores, should tell you which ones you have. Hope you figure this out. Good luck and keep us posted, interested to find out what's going on.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Take it back to the shop and tell them it doesn't cool properly. If it was converted there should be adapters on the ports to allow 134A hookup. There should also be a sticker under the hood indicating conversion. You could also have a blend door failure not allowing full cooling.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It's the diverter that moves when you turn the HVAC temperature knob to control air though the heater core. These cars are prone to this failure. Search the forums here. You could have warm air heating up your AC if it is not working correctly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The only way to tell what kind of refrigerant is in the car now is to take it to a different shop and have the $_9.99 AC service performed and they can tell you what's in your car.

I'll just say if the car originally used R12, then the A/C ports on the car will be for R12 as any replacement part will have to support that for an older car. The R134a ports will have to be added on to the R12 system. If they did a conversion they are required by Federal Law to note this on a sticker inside the engine compartment and list what oil they used, how much refrigerant was added by weight, and they date the conversion was done. A conversion isn't a simple case of just dropping in a different refrigerant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts