Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a 2008 Taurus SEL to replace my dying 2007 Taurus SE. This particular car I am looking at was owned by an elderly couple and maintained very well. It has 155k miles and only issues being mild rust over the wheel arches and the brakes needing to be done. They are asking $2k. Is there anything I should be wary of before committing to this? The other cars I've had on my radar are an '07 VW Rabbit and an '02 Volvo V70XC.

·
Super Moderator
7,802 Posts
Find out if the water pump has been replaced or if it is the original. If it is the original, run away FAST!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also decided to take the VW off my radar due to the one I was eyeing up selling, although I am considering an 03-08 Subaru Forester as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,802 Posts
All FWD Cyclones suffer from the WP issue, but it seems like the earlier Cyclones are more prone to the issue than the later model ones. The WP failure mode where the pump fails and dumps coolant into the oil and possibly destroying the engine (coolant eats up rod and main bearings pretty quick) is pretty rare..... much more rare than the pump letting you know it is on the via out via the weep hole. Pump replacement is a $1000++ job (90+% of the cost is labor) as the timing cover, chains, front of the engine accessories etc must be removed to access the pump. Pump replacement can be a DIY job if you have a weekend to spare and pick up the cam sprocket holding tools from Amazon, Ebay, etc. A few members here have done their pumps themselves. There are some older posts about the process. I have a friend who is a Ford senior master Ford tech and he has done enough of them that he can do a WP in 4 to 5 hours since he has had a lot of practice, but the dealer still charges the customer the 14 or hour book time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All FWD Cyclones suffer from the WP issue, but it seems like the earlier Cyclones are more prone to the issue than the later model ones. The WP failure mode where the pump fails and dumps coolant into the oil and possibly destroying the engine (coolant eats up rod and main bearings pretty quick) is pretty rare..... much more rare than the pump letting you know it is on the via out via the weep hole. Pump replacement is a $1000++ job (90+% of the cost is labor) as the timing cover, chains, front of the engine accessories etc must be removed to access the pump. Pump replacement can be a DIY job if you have a weekend to spare and pick up the cam sprocket holding tools from Amazon, Ebay, etc. A few members here have done their pumps themselves. There are some older posts about the process. I have a friend who is a Ford senior master Ford tech and he has done enough of them that he can do a WP in 4 to 5 hours since he has had a lot of practice, but the dealer still charges the customer the 14 or hour book time.
Yikes. My parents still want me to buy this Taurus regardless so it's something I'll have to probably do.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a 2008 with 100,000 on it. Only problems I've had are the Coil Packs and Transmission Speed Sensor. Besides the rust issues, there seems to be a ton of 08-09's on the road still.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts