Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm scared i'm going to strip the pan threads...

dont know why, i've changed the oil a couple times myself already, but i've just gotten scared lately.....

Tried looking in the chilton manual and the ford owners manual to see if there was a spec for it but there is nothing.

I have a gen 2, 3.8 liter

any one have any tips??

thanks

puv

p.s. i HAVE to change the oil tonight as i am a good amount over when i like to change it , and i will be on the road the next 3 days for work

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I would THINK that 35-40 lb-ft should be adequate. I usually just snug it up with a standard 3/8" drive ratchet and check for leakage at the next gas tank fill-up.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
There's really no reason to check for torque. As sundarpn said, it's not a load bearing bolt, so it only needs to be snug enough to compress the gasket on the plug. As long as that little piece of cardboard or rubber is compressed, no oil is going to leak out.

JR

·
Registered
109 Posts
And for what it's worth, when I got my '00 Sable Duratec last November, I was getting a small drip coming from the bolt. I replaced it with a Motormite (#365378) Bolt that came with a nice thick gasket. Cost $2 at Autozone or Pep Boys. End of leak. I've never used a Torque wrench on an oil bolt. Just snug it up. Wipe all around and check for any drips over the next few days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.