Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Ford dealership wants $16 for the filter and over $30 for the gasket. My car has a cork gasket that was reused during the last flush (cork gaskets are supposedly worse, right?). Should I keep my gasket or buy new? Next, do I have to get the Motorcraft parts? A local autozone sells a Duralast branded AX4N filter with a rubber gasket for $17. Part number is TF217. Has anyone had experience with these?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Looks like a Pro King part number, which is what pretty much every auto parts store sells. So quality is fine.

Just make sure you actually flush out all 10 or 11 quarts of fluid, just dropping the pan and changing the filter only removes about 4 quarts and that filter is just a steel mesh screen, so you would be leaving 6 to 7 quarts of burned up, dirty fluid still in it.

In case you need it, Ford's process is:

- Disconnect transmission cooler line from radiator, start engine, turn off engine when fluid discharge slows down to a trickle.

- Add 2 to 3 quarts of fresh fluid to the transmission and start engine again, turn off engine when fluid discharge slows down to a trickle.

- Drop pan, change filter, put new gasket on, reinstall pan, reconnect transmission cooler line and add fluid back to transmission.

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
I put a Duralast in 2 weeks ago when I changed the fluid & filter in my "new to me" 95 Vulcan. Quality wise, it looked the same as every other filter I have bought from parts stores, Ford dealer, etc.

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
Az tf217 is fine, but what happened to your reusable gasket? The one that came with the car is far superior to cork or blk. rubber. Check out advance auto website or store. They list 2 pro king kit options for the 99 tec ax4n and one appears to have a metal reinforced gasket similar to oem.

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
The adv. auto pro-king kit is part#fk311 for $19.99. If you just want the pan gasket, its felpro part#tos18709 for $7.39.

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
The cork and blk. rubber ones are crap and prone to leak. They come wadded up in a ball and are hard to work with (staying flat) during installation. Ive even had to glaze them with a thin film of rtv or cinch them down with fine sewing thread through a few of the mount holes in order to get them to lie flat. If i didnt have the permanent reusable gasket, i would def. get the adv. auto pro king #fk311 (filter, seal and gasket) or the felpro gasket even if i had to order online. Az tf217 is fine if you have the reusable oem gasket.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do Pro-King's gaskets come wadded up in a ball? Yes, but the bolt holes in all of their gaskets are made 1/16th smaller than OE allowing you to lay out the gasket and thread all of your bolts through the gasket and pan. This holds the bolts in place and assures you proper gasket placement prior to putting the pan back up. I've installed their gaskets this way, without RTV, for the past three years, and not a leak or pinch yet.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I just put the autozone tranny filter in my car. I have the original gasket so I didnt have to worry about that. After looking at the gaskets that came with the filter, I wouldnt use those, maybe for an emergency, but I wouldnt count on it long. Spend the money and buy a quality rubber gasket from the dealer so you dont need to worry about that again.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Ford dealership gasket costs about $30 and about $15 for the motorcraft filter. The FK311 Pro King filter with an elastomeric gasket costs about $19.99 at Advance Auto Parts, which is indeed only $1 more expensive than the same part with a rubber gasket. I know I am being too cheap here, but I'll go head and try the Pro King gasket FK311 with the filter.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I personally use the specified OEM Motorcraft/SPX Filtran tranny filters & Felpro Felprene reuseable tranny pan gaskets.

The Pro King doesn't sound too bad, as they're also having SPX/Filtran make their tranny filter, but who knows to what spec.

Who knows where Pro King buys their tranny pan gasket, or to what spc it's made, but if their filter mfgr is a hint, maybe they use a quality vendor like FelPro for the gasket, as they used a quality vendor for the tranny filter.

So at first glance, the ProKing product doesn't seem so bad, a lot better than some China made filter kits that I've turned down at other stores.

The reason I decided to stay with an OEM tranny filter, is that it costs about the same & it's made to Fords specs by SPX/Fitran & the last time I checked 3 years ago, it wasn't made in China.

SO, we just don't know to what spec ProKing has Filtran make their tranny filters to, but they may be as good as/same as, or better than OEM, but who knows????

They say their gaskets are better than OEM, but again who knows to what spec, or where ProKing is buying them????

I know that I like the reuseable FelPro pan gasket better than the OEM cork gaskets that came on my 94 AXODE & 99 5R55E tranny, as they come packaged flat, such that they'll lay flat on the pan, right out of the box & their fastner holes are under sized, so we can screw the fastners into the gasket & they'll stay in place as well as hold the pan gasket in position while we install the pan.

A pan gasket that won't lay flat can be encouraged to do so, by heating it up with a hair dryer, heat gun, oven, or laying it out in the sun to warm up.... "any port in a storm".... Right!!!! lol

Here is a link to ProKings tranny service kit page,
Pro-King

More thoughts for pondering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts