Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen a synchronizer fail and give drivability problems without throwing a code? 2003 taurus 3.0 vulcan with a miss and stumble when engine is cold only and it makes a rattling noise while it is missing around the synchronizer area on the motor!

·
Registered
564 Posts
If I recall correctly mine didn't throw a code either, just started causing issues like you describe. From what I understand I would not wait to replace it or really bad nasty stuff could happen, I'm just sayin.....

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
If I recall correctly mine didn't throw a code either, just started causing issues like you describe. From what I understand I would not wait to replace it or really bad nasty stuff could happen, I'm just sayin.....
Oh God, do I know about that. No codes just a little squeak and then a seized engine....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had the squeak.. no codes.
Wasn't hard to replace it myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed it tonight, wont know till morning if it fixed it cause the engine has to be cold for it to act up and miss and buck! Visualy I cant see anything wrong with the old one.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Did you check the voltage with the running engine? I had a bad alternator (13.5V) messing up the synchronizer sensor signal (it did show a P0340 code).

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
You may laugh but honestly I had no symptoms. But the posts in this forum scared me and I replaced mine at 100k miles. No regrets though. I think synchronizer is a perfect example that needs preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem Solved!!!

I replaced the syncro last night and this morning the car ran great. Nothing appered to be wrong with the old one but the new one sure seemed to fix it. Thanks for all the replies!!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Awesome, glad it fixed the problem!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts