Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a side job to replace a 3.0 on a 97 Taurus. Ive been told the only way to drop the engine is from the bottom, but it looks like there is plenty of room to pull it from the top. I am not familiar with regular Taurus' at all. So whats the easiest/quickest way to get the engine out?

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I haven't done the 3.0 vulcan yet, but I did do a 3.0 Duratec, and there is ABSOLUTELY not enough room to pull the duratec from the top. You have to AT LEAST remove the transmission first to pull it from the top. The vulcan MIGHT be different, but it biggest problem is separating the motor from the transmission and then being able to lift it out. They don't give enough room between the frame rail and the front of the engine to be able to separate them.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I pulled mine from the top. It was a tight squeeze, to be sure, but just rock the transmission a little to get past the A/C lines and it'll slip right out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just pulled a GM 3800 out from the top it was a pain in the ass. I think Ill just stick with dropping everything out. More room to work and less knuckle busting in tight areas

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know about the Vulcan engine, but I just replaced my "97 Sable DOHC engine and I did it from the top. I had to remove the water pump, alternator, power steering pump and reservoir, removed the a/c but left it in the engine compartment, and most importantly, I removed the crankshaft pulley and dampener to make room. The engine them came out easily and the new one went in just as easily. Btw, I did this by myself, so you know it wasn't that hard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
According to http://www.inford.com you don't have too

here the instructions

Removal

Disconnect the negative and positive battery cables. Refer to Section 14-01.

Loosing four water pump pulley retaining bolts.

Rotate the drive belt tensioner clockwise and remove the accessory drive belt.

Partially raise the vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Section 00-02.

Remove the right front wheel assembly.

Remove the right front wheel well cover (front section).

Remove four bolts retaining the crankshaft pulley and remove the pulley.

Remove two bolts retaining the transaxle to the right engine mount bracket.

Raise the vehicle.

Disconnect the low oil level sensor connector.

Drain the engine oil.

Remove the 14 bolts retaining the lower radiator splash shield and remove the shield.

Drain the power steering fluid.

Drain the cooling system. Refer to Section 03-03.

Remove the right and left engine mount retaining nuts from the front and rear of the subframe.

Disconnect the starter solenoid wire, heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) connector, harness, and locator. Remove two retaining bolts from the starter and position the starter aside.

Remove the one bolt retaining the torque converter cover to the transaxle housing and remove the cover.

Rotate the torque converter using the crankshaft damper bolt, and remove four converter-to-flexplate nuts. Discard the nuts.

Remove the right and left lower transaxle retaining bolts from the engine block.

Install Holder Tool T94T-6000-AH to the catalyst flex tube.

Remove the four nuts retaining the dual catalytic converter Y-pipe to the left and right exhaust manifolds.

Loosen the nut and remove the bolt retaining the dual catalytic converter Y-pipe bracket to the transaxle. Position the Y-pipe to clear the exhaust manifold studs.

Remove the power steering pressure line bracket retainers from the water pump stud and right engine mount bracket. Position the brackets aside.

Remove the lower radiator hose from the water pump inlet and position the hose aside.

Lower the vehicle.

Drain and recover the A/C refrigerant. Refer to Section 12-00.

Remove the bolt retaining the battery hold-down and remove the hold-down. Remove the battery cover and battery.

Disconnect the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor and PCV vent tube. Loosen the two hose clamps retaining the clean air tube and position the tube out of the way.

Remove the evaporative emission return tube and vacuum distribution supply hose from the right side of the intake manifold, near the throttle body. Position the hoses aside.

Remove the two bolts retaining the throttle body cover and remove the cover. Disconnect the throttle cable, speed control cable, and throttle return spring from the throttle body.

Remove the two bolts retaining the cable bracket to the throttle body. Position the bracket and cables aside.

Remove the heater hose and the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing, the power steering return hose from the pump reservoir, the radiator degas hose from the coolant reservoir, the coolant reservoir return hose from the engine, and the heater core hose near the right side of the bulk head.

Loosen the bolt retaining the 42-pin engine harness connector to the vehicle harness and separate the connectors. Release the connector lock and slide the engine side of the 42-pin connector off the support bracket. Disconnect the following connectors: mass air flow (MAF), transaxle solenoid, output shaft speed (OSS) sensor, HO2S and locator at transaxle filler tube, power steering pressure switch (PSPS), steering auxiliary actuator, HO2S and locator at the left side of the steering gear and HO2S locator at the center right of the steering gear.

Remove the two harness locators from the transaxle filler tube. Remove the harness from the routing locators and position it for engine removal.

Disconnect the right cooling fan connector and the two locators attaching the harness to the fan shroud. Remove the bolt retaining the cooling fan and remove the fan from the vehicle.

Remove the bolt retaining the A/C manifold assembly to the compressor and disconnect the high-pressure switch connector. Plug the compressor and manifold. Position the assembly out of the way.

Remove the power steering left turn pressure hose from the power steering pump. Plug the line and fitting. Position the hose out of the way.

Remove the nut retaining the generator wire and disconnect the harness locator at the power steering pump bracket. Disconnect the generator regulator and stator connectors. Position the harnesses out of the way.

Position a drain pan.

WARNING: THE FUEL SUPPLY LINES ON ALL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH FUEL INJECTION REMAIN PRESSURIZED FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME. FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE MUST BE RELIEVED PRIOR TO SERVICE. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.

On gasoline vehicles, connect the Multiport Fuel Injection (MFI) Pressure Gauge T80L-9974-B. On flexible fuel vehicles, connect the Fuel (methanol/ethanol) Pressure Test Kit 134-R0035 (or equivalent). Connect the gauge hose to the pressure relief valve on the fuel rail. Open the manual valve on the fuel gauge to relieve system pressure. Remove the tool and replace the protective cap on the relief valve.

Remove the secondary fuel line clips from the fuel pressure and return hoses. Using the Spring Lock Coupling Disconnect Tools D87L-9280-A and D87L-9280-B, remove and cap the fuel lines and fittings.

Remove the coolant reservoir retainers and remove the reservoir from the slotted holder in the right fender. Remove the hose from the bottom of the reservoir and remove the reservoir from the vehicle.

Remove the bolt retaining the idler pulley and the bolt retaining the drive belt tensioner. Remove the components from the vehicle.

Remove the retaining nut from the upper generator support bracket. Remove the retaining bolt and loosen the nut from the lower generator support bracket. Position the generator aside.

Remove the two nuts and one bolt retaining the power steering pump and alternator bracket assembly to the left cylinder head.

Remove the two studs supporting the power steering pump and alternator bracket assembly to the left cylinder head. Remove the assembly from the vehicle.

Disconnect the A/C compressor clutch connector and harness locator. Remove the four bolts retaining the A/C compressor and remove the compressor from the vehicle.

Remove the four bolts retaining the water pump pulley to the pump and remove the pulley from the vehicle.

Disconnect the VMV and vehicle speed sensor (VSS) connectors. Position the wiring aside. Loosen the bolt retaining the electronic engine control (EEC) connector and disconnect the connector. Remove the bolt retaining the engine ground and EEC ground at the bulkhead. Position the ground wires aside. Disconnect both differential pressure feedback EGR (DPFE) hoses from the EGR tube and position them aside.

Loosen both tubing nuts from the EGR tube and remove the tube.

Disconnect the coil and the coil condenser connectors. Remove the two harness locators. Remove the two bolts retaining the coil bracket to the left cylinder head and position the coil out of the way.

Install the engine lifting eyes to the rear of the left cylinder head and the front of the right cylinder head.

Disconnect the left and right hood struts from the hood. Support the hood in the uppermost position.

Support the transaxle, taking care not to damage the pan or case.

Install the Floor Crane 014-00071 (or equivalent) with the Universal Engine Lift Bracket 014-00073 (or equivalent) into position. Connect the chains to the right front and left rear cylinder head lifting eyes.

Remove the nut retaining the battery ground at the transaxle stud, below the rear of the left cylinder head. Remove the harness bracket and the ground cable. With the engine supported by the floor crane, remove the bolts retaining the left and right engine mounts to the mount brackets. Position the mounts out of the way.

Remove the four remaining transaxle retaining bolts from the top of the transaxle case.

Separate the engine from the transaxle. Make sure the torque converter is separated from the flexplate before separating the engine too far. Remove the engine from the vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts