Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Taurus Vulcan 217K
I'm having problems with Forscan connecting to my ELM327 cable.
Rather than spending a lot of time trying to diagnose that, what I need is to diagnose my ABS warning light problem.
The description for this HF code reader says it will diagnose ABS codes so I assume it will read the ABS codes on my Taurus but I would like to be sure before spending $150
Also if I replace my ABS module (which I suspect is causing the problem) I believe I will need to re-set or re-program something in order to turn off the warning lights.
Is it possible this code reader will do that or is that a Forscan function?
Thanks, all help is much appreciated, John
Kenneth
Font Communication Device Telephony Electronic device Measuring instrument

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
2004 Taurus Vulcan 217K
Rather than spending a lot of time trying to diagnose that, what I need is to diagnose my ABS warning light problem.
The description for this HF code reader says it will diagnose ABS codes so I assume it will read the ABS codes on my Taurus but I would like to be sure before spending $150
Also if I replace my ABS module (which I suspect is causing the problem) I believe I will need to re-set or re-program something in order to turn off the warning lights.
Kenneth
View attachment 219296
I used that one or similar from same supply. Worked fine, found my ABS was left front wheel sensor. Replaced it and all is well. Found bad coil on '05 DOHC where the shop had not found which one. From others here, I learned about "Pending codes" and checked and it was #3. Misfire bad but would not set a light.
I do not have a laptop for forscan, not even a smart phone.
Desktop 19 years old, Office '97 and 34 year old IBM keyboard.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
650 Posts
2004 Taurus Vulcan 217K
Kenneth
View attachment 219296
I have the model just below that one and it "reads" codes fine but does not go into great detail. The internet is where I gather most information ( including this site) once I have the code info. I think you are hoping for a bi-directional scanner, not sure this will do that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am not sure on the ABS part, but the OBDLink is a great tool to have for any car owner. It does allow to check all the modules in the car, so it most likely does ABS too.

With the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth you can plug it into the OBD slot and forget about it if you want to, when the engine light comes on, use your phone to check the code. Having it plugged in when you need it and you almost always have a smartphone with you now days, so you can quickly see if the problem is a major concern or not.

OBDLink <--- LINK TO READER

It has also allowed me to program a extra key for my 2007 Taurus, saving me at least $70. The app it comes with allows you to create dashboards with stats, graphs, dials and more. You can also mirror the dashboard to allow it to work as a heads up display (HUD) on your windshield,it is a neat feature.

Using it along with the free to use FORSCAN, it gives you access to thousands of dollars of features that a professional scan tool would have access to however its free!

FORScan Homepage

I would check out OBDLink, I have had great success with it!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
My prior harbor freight code reader with ABS did work on the taurus, but it only provides basic trouble code info and no live data I have a newer reader that will do live abs data on my GM's but for some reason will not read live ABS data on my 98 taurus

·
Registered
23,694 Posts
My prior harbor freight code reader with ABS did work on the taurus, but it only provides basic trouble code info and no live data I have a newer reader that will do live abs data on my GM's but for some reason will not read live ABS data on my 98 taurus
^+1. I have an Actron abs scanner from Advance Auto that wouldn't read/connect with my '98/'99 tecs with an abs light/fault code(s). After calling their (Actron) tech help line it was determined the Bosch abs elec. module had failed. They were right, lol.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was finally able to get ForScan to connect and read the ABS codes. Confirmed that my problem is the ABS module. So I didn't need to buy the Harbor Freight scanner. I think it probably works well and their prices are less than other brands. My basic H/F OBDII scanner has worked reliably for years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts