Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2003 Sable LS with the Duratec. It has been fixed from a front-end collision and there are some things out of place it seems. I'd like to get some under-hood pics from a similar year *stock* Tuarus or Sable to see how its supposed to be.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Here's one a little closer:

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread but why was 2000 the only year they didn't put spark plug wires on the Duratec?

Mike

B)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by mwt@Aug 20 2004, 05:44 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread but why was 2000 the only year they didn't put spark plug wires on the Duratec?

Mike

B)
What do you mean by that? I've never seen a car without spark plug wires...

JR

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32+Aug 20 2004, 09:48 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (godspunk32 @ Aug 20 2004, 09:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mwt@Aug 20 2004, 05:44 PM

Mike

B)

JR [/b][/quote]
He's refering to the coil-on-plug wires..... sorry, I don't the answer to the question though. My guess would be cost. The Taurus is a car for the masses. Why does the 2004 Taurus have rear drums?!?!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by spridget+Aug 21 2004, 02:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (spridget @ Aug 21 2004, 02:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2004, 09:48 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-mwt
@Aug 20 2004, 05:44 PM

Mike

B)

JR
He's refering to the coil-on-plug wires..... sorry, I don't the answer to the question though. My guess would be cost. The Taurus is a car for the masses. Why does the 2004 Taurus have rear drums?!?! [/b][/quote]
Oh ok...the no plug wires didn't really make a whole lot of sense to me. I knew that the 2000 had coil on plug design, but the wires to the coils have to come from somwhere.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32+Aug 21 2004, 08:53 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (godspunk32 @ Aug 21 2004, 08:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2004, 02:39 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-mwt

Mike

B)

JR

He's refering to the coil-on-plug wires..... sorry, I don't the answer to the question though. My guess would be cost. The Taurus is a car for the masses. Why does the 2004 Taurus have rear drums?!?!
Oh ok...the no plug wires didn't really make a whole lot of sense to me. I knew that the 2000 had coil on plug design, but the wires to the coils have to come from somwhere.

JR [/b][/quote]
magic!

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32+Aug 21 2004, 07:53 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (godspunk32 @ Aug 21 2004, 07:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2004, 02:39 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-mwt

Mike

B)

JR

JR [/b][/quote]
Thre are small electrical wires going to the coil but there are not spark plug wires as in a wire that runs from a coil to a spark plug.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
On most Duratecs, you have a coil pack, which does the same job as a distributor, in that it determines which cylinder gets the spark at which time. It does this electronically, rather than mechanically, like a distributor would. WIth coil-on-plug design, you have the coil pack directly on top of the spark plug, which decreases the amount of time and the distance it takes for the spark to reach the plug, and thus makes the spark more efficient. It's basically just a different way of doing the same thing. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. 2000 Duratecs are the only ones to come with coil-on-plug design...all others have seperate coil packs.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Notice the 2000 UIM has no external reinforcement where as the 2001-2003 does and the 2004 is totally different (yet exactly the same as the Escape's)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 20 2004, 02:53 PM
What seems to be out of place???

JR
Thanks to those that posted the pics. Basically, I've got a car that was wrecked and repaired before I bought it, and the repairs were done half-ass.

For example, the fuse box right up front is cracked up into about 3 pieces and held together with tie straps. I think the intermittent "not starting" problem I'm having is related to some loose connections or possible corrision (was exposed to the elements with fuse box and hood open before it was repaired) in that fuse box. So I want to replace it most likely, but I'm not looking forward to that.

Also, the air box was damaged, and the chute into the fender is missing.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts