Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure they look like hell but, I like to get a bike carrier that attanches to the receiver. Im a big mountain bike rider and hate those strap type trunk carriers, nor do I want a roof carrier.

Would you trust you Taurus to tow? Say like a single Quad trailer or a SeaDoo? I have access to a truck if you dont think it's a good idea.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 99 Taurus Wagon SE and I have a receiver hitch on mine. I have used it to move myself twice and someone else once with multiple trips on each. Make sure you get a tranny cooler though. Put the car into drive and not overdrive. drive no faster than 55 mph.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Lauria@Sep 1 2004, 07:03 PM
I have a 99 Taurus Wagon SE and I have a receiver hitch on mine.
Does it sit real low? I was looking at my car, seems that they will be rather low under the car. Lower compared to other cars.

B

·
0 Posts
I have one mounted on my 97, and it's hidden pretty well. I've never had problems with bottoming or anything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Sep 6 2004, 09:49 PM
I have one mounted on my 97, and it's hidden pretty well. I've never had problems with bottoming or anything.
Bob,
Do you have the 1 1/4" or 2" receiver?

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Dan71+Sep 13 2004, 11:49 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan71 @ Sep 13 2004, 11:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bob Gervais@Sep 6 2004, 09:49 PM
I have one mounted on my 97, and it's hidden pretty well.  I've never had problems with bottoming or anything.
Bob,
Do you have the 1 1/4" or 2" receiver? [/b][/quote]
It's a 1 1/4", or Class 2. I don't think anyone makes a Class 3 (2") hitch for a Taurus, but I could be wrong. I found a pic of the car that sort of shows the hitch:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I'm a big mountain biker too, I had an 1-1/4" receiver from Uhaul and with the rack (Thule) it was DAMN low. The rack comes out another foot or so before it goes up. I got rid of it fast, consider what's going to happen if you do bottom it out.. hopefully the rack will bend if your lucky and if it does it could bend into your car or funk up your bikes. I ultimately got a Saris Roof rack for my Gen IV and you can take it on and off in about 5 minutes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
U-Haul makes a "stealth" hitch... at least for the SHO (I don't see why it would be any different for a SLO.) It's a bit more expensive, but it's invisible from behind unless you have the actual ball hitch installed. The receiver itself is mounted up behind the bumper, and the hitch comes down at an angle to clear the bumper. When you aren't using the hitch, just pull the pin and slide it out to return to "stealth mode."

As for towing capabilities, you NEED an aux trans cooler to tow ANYTHING. I wouldn't even load the trunk with luggage without one--a bike is OK, but anything with more weight that having 4 people in the car is trouble on a stock trans cooler. Once you have a good aux cooler installed, if you stay on top of the trans maintenance and don't do any mountain driving in the summer, you can haul 1000 lbs. or so pretty safely.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Hey, SixFo, would you recommend any particular U-Haul spot in Philly or are they all pretty much the same? I'm looking to bolt a hitch onto my SHO for occaisionally towing my (500 lb) motorcycle around. Ya think I'd need the aux trans cooler with the 5-speed?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Cool. My brother went through 2 1st-gen Taurus GLs and 4 trannies. Not sure I'd buy a 1st-gen V6 with the automatic after what he went through. And he had an aux cooler on at least one of those.

Should have the SHO up and running soon - its getting too cold to ride the Bandit to work. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts